$40 for Panzerschrek

Home Forums Historical Bolt Action $40 for Panzerschrek

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Jacob Carter
    Participant

I really don’t like working with the metal figures so I am highly considering buying a Warhammer 40k kit for kitbashing, the funny part is I’d be spending $40 for a single piece!

If any Warlord devs look at this forum, I’d buy a plastic upgrade sprue to make teams without any hesitation.

• This topic was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by Jacob Carter. Reason: Forgot photo
    Rolls1s
    Participant

You might want to try The Assault Group miniatures. The parts and equipment section has Panzerschreks and Panzerfausts available separately, so no need to drop $40 on a 40k kit. I’ve used some of their parts before, added STG44s to some plastics. Detail and Casting quality are decent too.

Kar98k
    Participant

Depending on your plastic modelling skills, you can make a Panzerschreck team using two plastic German figures and a US bazooka from one of the plastic American Infantry sets. If you use the earlier German plastic set (with individual weapons), use the bazooka and arm from the earlier American plastic set (with individual weapons). If you use the bazooka from the newer plastic American infantry set, then use one of the bigger plastic German figures (newer sets) because the arm from the newer plastic American set is bigger and beefier.

Anyway, it’s not that difficult to convert a plastic US bazooka into a German panzerschreck, but some plastic modelling and scratch building (maybe using Evergreen plastic) is needed.

SteveT
    Participant
    Jacob Carter
    Participant

Oh yeah, I absolutely intend to use a bazooka as the base part, but the only problem is the shield.  I absolutely love how you can make both MMG teams for US Airborne and bazooka teams out of Plastic, and I hope Warlord has plans for more plastic gun crews/teams.

I’ll also say, I hope Warlord doesn’t become like Games Workshop.  I was super close to starting an army when they hiked up their prices and I said “screw that”!

Nigel Heather
    Participant

Just look at other 28mm figure manufacturers.  The sculpt and stature style may not be a perfect match for Bolt Action figures but for the occasional figure(s) I don’t think it would be that noticeable.

Just one example, I’m sure there are many others out there

https://www.stevebarbermodels.com/store/28mm-World-War-2-German-Panzerlehr-Panzerschreck-team-p145628381

Cheers,

Nigel

Nigel Heather
    Participant

Not sure what it is you are looking for – assume you have already seen these

There are SS and Fallschirmjager ones too.

Cheers,

Nigel

• This reply was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by Nigel Heather.
    Master Chief
    Participant

Yes Warlord prices have gone up and also switched to billing customers in their local currencies instead of in £. In my local currency prices have gone up by 50%. It is really madness and I have written in to them in this, but nothing has been done. Hopefully if enough people write in they may do somethig about it.

Nigel Heather
    Participant

@Master Chief – as for their pricing models – wouldn’t count on writing in getting you anywhere.  I regularly get sent emails from Warlord asking me to complete a survey – just did another just a few days ago.  Each time I explain that I don’t like their pricing models and why that is the primary reason why I buy so little directly from them.

I’ve even created a post in this forum.

Nothing ever happens, other than the prices go up.

Every few months it seems that they are rolling out another set of rules, becoming the favour of the hour (Armada, Victory at Sea, Mythic Americas) – rather than developing and improving what they already have.

They are looking more and more like Games Workshop every day.

Cheers,

Nigel

• This reply was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by Nigel Heather.
    Nat
    Participant

The change in currancy acceptance and the related exchange rate may not be warlord, but rather the bank that provides the payment portal..

espically as its now been updated to accept applepay & googlepay

I stress may.. .because I dont know which system they use to provide the payment portal

Master Chief
    Participant

The change in currancy acceptance and the related exchange rate may not be warlord, but rather the bank that provides the payment portal..

I think it is not. I used to see the prices displayed in £, and when I pay with my credit card or Paypal, my credit card bank or Paypal does the exchange rate conversion, and charges a fee.

Now I see prices displayed in my local currency, and the exchange rate used is atrocious (50% more than the prevailing exchange rate)!! Warlord explained to me the reason for this is to “help” non-UK customers save on their banks’ exchange rate fees, because we are now billed in local currency and not £. Guess what, my bank still charges me a fee 🤦🏻‍♂️ If the situation doesn’t change, I will have to stop buying Warlord stuff soon.

Nigel Heather
    Participant

I’m in the UK so don’t suffer from any currency conversion fees with Warlord games but I still find their prices too expensive.

• In the UK you can buy Warlord Games products significantly cheaper from other retailers.
    • Their one price fits all shipping discourages me from making small purchases.  For example, recently, I wanted a decal sheet, tiny, weighs nothing but still £5.00 shipping making the purchase too expensive
    • Their threshold for free shipping is too high to encourage small purchases
    • Their special offers are not special any more.  Used to be regular and good, good enough to encourage me to buy stuff I didn’t really need.  But now the offers are mostly meh!
    • This has got me looking at other suppliers, there is one that has an ever growing range of very nice plastic AFVs

I have bought a lot of Warlord Games stuff, but mostly from other sellers because of the reasons above.

Like many I now have the bulk of my armies but regularly there is always a little something I would like to add, some decals for a vehicle, some figures for a special unit but every time I look at Warlord Games I get turned off by the price and look elsewhere.

And recently, it feels like they don’t care about their existing, instead preferring to churn out new game systems at a phenomenal rate.

It really does seem like they are trying to become a Games Workshop.

Cheers,

Nigel

Master Chief
    Participant

Haha I think I know which manufacturer you are referring to 😂 I am eagerly waiting for their twin bazooka armoured Willys jeep kit (need to get it with their new soon to be re-released Willys jeep), although I have already “kit-bashed” 2 using the Warlord Armoured jeep and 4 spare bazookas from my US weapons sprues.

I will order the new kits together with their recently released German Drilling upgrade kit (need to get this together with their 251/1 Ausf. D kit).

Alan Hamilton
    Participant

My post with pictures seems to have disappeared.  I made a Panzerschreck and a flamethrower from scrap plastic, paper, card and wire.  Not as difficult as I thought.

see http://www.morvalearth.co.uk/Bolt%20Action/Bolt%20Action%20Infantry.htm

invisible officer
    Participant

Well, if you will be able to convert that Warhammer shield into a convincing German one you would be 100% able to scratch a Panzerschreck without any ready made parts.

But that’s just my own scratchbuilding loving me.

Funny how a thread can change. Now we are at the prices.  And yes, some Warlord prices make me :-o.   But compared to the ones of many other makers they are not unusual.

I ever thought it strange that wargamers have to pay more for similar items than for example modelling peoples. The W. work with Italeri gave me high hopes but fast that showed to be ……… .   Strangely for a short time German shops got the kits directly from Italy at “nomal” plastic kit prices. I guess someone in UK noticed and now they must take the game prices.

That “other” Wargaming kit company too is charging high prices for BA style plastic kit  gaming stuff that would be cheaper as a scale model kit.   Is the different scale really costing so much?   Better prices would increase the sales………..

The other thing, the minimum p/p is OK. You do not just pay for the p/p but also the handling. The work with a single decal sheet takes nearly the same time a 10 item order takes.

Many of us have special wishes and xpect a big mail order company to work on same principles the local shop can offer. A long chat and a cup of tea.  But imagin 50 customers standing in line behind you…….

Worst are the high expectations in rule questions. Most of the authors are no paid employees. If you ask Warlord or in Forum what one was meaning with a wording , that’s optimistic. It might never reach him.  Some expect that in buying a book they also bought the lifetime of the author. But most have a real life beside writing. Jobs, a family. Even other hobbies.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.