Rules Question Thread

Home Forums Historical Black Powder Rules Question Thread

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 273 total)
  • Author
    Eric Fontaine

Have a specific rules question, let’s hear it. Let’s chat about it. And lets get the official ruling. Who will be first?

Cameron P.
    Participant

Regarding the rule and points for:
    The Russian Musketeer and Grenadier infantry does not receive the +1 bonus at close range and suffer -1 penalty when shooting at any other range. However, Russian infantry withstood punishment on the battlefield as no other – Russian infantry receive a stamina bonus to their basic stat line Clash of Eagles page 35

QUESTION

Does this mean that the net points for this is zero. (That is -4 for firing, +4 for stamina = 0)

The Russian stats on page 148 suggest they pay for the extra stamina, but don’t get any points back for the ‘firing’ rule. Or Is the Russian stamina actually 5?)

mark bolton
    Participant

Hi, in COE , if a line charges a column the column’s response has to be a change to line (- assuming no disorder and in frontal arc -) . If a column charges a line AND the line is “Steady Line” , the line may countercharge – easy so far . Q1 Is the column now being charged by the line FORCED to form a (disordered ?) line ? Q2 The “Steady Line” countercharge loses the closing fire benefit(s) ie no +1 drm to hit (but DOES get close range ?) and casualties do or do not cause a Closing Fire break test ?

Bert
    Participant

Hi
    Need some clarification about Skirmish formation.
    Assume a Line unit (with a special rule that allow only Skirmish formation in woods). Logic dictates that the unit change formation before entering woods. But in the case of only 1 order in the phase ?, Does the unit stay his entire turn in Skirmish formation but not in woods ?

thks

Big Al
    Participant

To change from line to Skirmish or Open Order requires an order. Once a unit exits terrain, it must form back into line. This should be accounted for in your order and will require a move. Do not confuse “Turn” with “Move”!
    The turn is your turn, in which you issue orders to all units via your commanders.
    The Command roll dictates how many “moves” a unit can make depending upon the success of the roll. So, if you roll equal to or one less than your commander’s command rating, the unit can make a single “move”- one to change to open order, one to move through the wood and one to change back into line.

Bert
    Participant

I’am not sure to understand you. (english is not my first language). The rules state :
    It takes a unit one move to change from one formation to another” (P.33)
    2 Examples to be clear:
    1/ Assume a unit (in Line) is in open ground and want to move into a wood (3″away). The roll order is equal the command rating (Only 1 Move), so, if i understand, it can move directly in Woods (in Line Formation) and stop. Next turn (if it will not disordered later in the turn) it must change formation to Skirmish ?
    2/ Assume a unit (in Skirmish) is in Wood and want to exit the wood. The roll order is equal the command rating (So, 1 Move). It exit the woods in Skirmish and then remain in this formation until next turn. Assume it is Disordrer by a enemy firing later in the turn. It remain in skirmish for one more turn no ?

Big Al
    Participant

Ok here goes
    1) You have rolled equal to the Command Rating, the unit can only change formation to open order or move up to the edge of the wood. Which it does would depend on how you worded your order.
    The critical thing is that the unit cannot enter the woods while in line formation. It must change to Open Order or Skirmish Order (they are the same thing) in order to enter the wood.

2)Yes, you are correct! And you are correct about disorder, too.

Bert
    Participant

Ok, thks

mark bolton
    Participant

As I read it , the Russians get NO discount for their poorer musketry and (like Austria) restricted multiple unit moves . Wholly accurate representation within the BP mechanic. BUT quite unfair in the points system. If also playing with the commanders’ national characteristics , then they are as difficult an army to use as Spain . Great fun and a challenge.

Igor
    Participant

Good evening.

Question about portugese army in “Albion Triumphant” vol. 1
    рапу 103
    “1 or 2 Portuguese Line
    Infantry Regiments (E, M, L) 38 points per regiment”

is it correct? infantry is usiually counted in batalions and earlier was written that portugese infantry regiment consisted of two battalions each.
    Logicaly it must be 1-2 regiments 1-2 batalions each. That give us 1-4 line batalions and 0-1 casadore batalion in brigade.
    Or in game portugese brigade can be 1-2 standard size line infantry units and 0-1 light?

Redcoat
    Participant

Is there a rule for divisional or corps commanders to get up to six rerolls of failed command rolls?

Charge The Guns
    Participant

Hi Redcoat. I’ve never heard of that rule. I can’t claim to have read every supplement, but 6 re-rolls seems really excessive. I can just about imagine some really top notch general getting the ability for a single re-roll, but even that seems an excessive bonus.

Igor
    Participant

Here`s this rule.
    It`s in Albion Triumphant vol.2
    Page 78

higher ranks
    Some players have larger figure collections than the norm
    and can deploy several divisions of their chosen nation and
    even a Corps commander! To represent the influence that a
    Corp commander can have on a battle we allow a number
    of command die re-rolls.
    Corps Commander (Staff rating 7) = 2 re-rolls, 25 points
    Corps Commander (Staff rating 8) = 4 re-rolls, 50 points
    Corps Commander (Staff rating 9) = 6 re-rolls, 75 points
    Corps Commander (Staff rating 10) = 8 re-rolls, 100 points
    Corps commanders can also be utilised by players in smaller
    games. It could be that the Corps commander has decided
    to exert his influence in a certain area of the battlefield.
    Corps commanders do not give orders or rally troops, they
    just offer sagely advise through their re-roll ability.

Charge The Guns
    Participant

Thanks for the clarification Igor.

Interesting. So the effect of the Corps commander is just to offer re-rolls to subordinates. Is this meant to be each turn or over the whole game ?

Igor
    Participant

As I understand the text, these re-rolls are bought for the whole game.
    Even 2 re-rols each turn make great advantage and can breack balance, turning comanding into hazzard of re-rolling rolls.
    If it`s a limited chance to challenge the luck, I find it interesting and worthy.
    But only official game-makers can make it clear.
    My own oppinion is a gamer`s oppinion.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 273 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.