What’s your base of choice

Home Forums Historical Bolt Action What’s your base of choice

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Nigel Heather
    Participant

I reached the point where I need to start sticking figures to bases.  I have two options, the plastic rimmed warlord ones or some 2mm thick MDF ones.

Torn between the two.  The plastic ones seem like they might be neater but the shape and size is limited, whereas, MDF bases are available in a huge range.  For example a two man prone team (such as small mortar) sit together more naturally on narrower bases than the warlord oval/pill shaped lipped bases.

Interested to hear what you experienced players use.

Cheers,

Nigel

Steeljackal
    Participant

I always found Warlord mortar, arty,… team with medium and large circular bases to put all on it.

Sergei S
    Participant

I do both, plastic base with mdf base under. Plastic base is too shallow and light, although holds flocking well. Mdf adds height and weight, so figure is not tipping over and easier to pick up without damaging paint.

Jim Ripley
    Participant

I mostly use the supplied round plastic base for single figures . I have made my own plastic bases from Evergreen sheet for 2 & 3 man teams ( MG ) , sometimes with odd shapes that suit the figure poses .  I have been thinking about clear plastic bases for a while now , they would let your troops “work” on any game mat or terrain piece . Looks a little “silly ” having troops with grass tufts and gravel around their boots standing in a building . Anyone used clear plastic bases ?

Nat
    Participant

@Jim… you have to be careful with the glue from what I hear as its very easy to make the clear plastic bases go cloudy – I”ve not used them or seen them in the flesh myself this is just feedback I’ve seen over the years on vairious forums.

Tim Haslam
    Participant

Yes super glue can make acrylic go cloudy, plus if you have metal infantry you have to cut off all the base, which can be laborious.

i use 2p pieces mostly, and 1p for artillery crew.

this works well for plastic figures as it adds weight?

i am starting to switch to MDF though, plus you can get MDF movement trays which fit nicely.

Steeljackal
    Participant

Jim I like your idea. I already see pics online of miniatures on trasparent bases.

I also don’t like seeing grass bases on the beach or in a paved square, especially for large bases such as artillery and support weapons. They are often beautiful mini dioramas, but I am not convinced to see a mg team camouflaged behind a trunk in a building, or an anti-tank gun camouflaged behind a bush in the middle of a paved road. And even there are those who put the vehicles above the bases, so you can see these beautiful bases with mud and grass on the paved streets, paved squares, beaches, in building,…

Steeljackal
    Participant

Examples of clear bases. If I remember right Warlord sells acrilyc clear bases too.

On youtube there are some video tutorial

Jim Ripley
    Participant

Yes super glue does mess up clear plastic , as does tube model , just ask anyone who built car models as a kid . There must be some product out there , I see a lot of sci fi type figures on clear bases , never really thought to ask what glue they used … I wonder if there is a Gorilla type glue that dries clear , I know  a lot of white glues like Lapages dry clear but wonder about holding strength

SteveT
    Participant

I use the Warlord round ones for all team weapons as so far they all fit.

For all artillery I use a consistent size as I like conformity in the game —6cm x 12cm MDF—  either bought as such or cut myself from long pieces from the art shop, works out very inexpensive indeed. The material seems to adhere well to metal (and all artillery I have is metal so far), probably due to its less smooth surface. Also paints up well as it absorbs paint nicely and holds scenic material well too.

invisible officer
    Participant

My base of choice is high enough to give a good grip option. Not making the guys touch the miniature.  Much less breaking or bending.

It is also easier to paint with such a handle.      Clear plastic is no option for me. It is not invisible. And my big guns are far too heavy, my 21 cm mortar would break clear plastic.

My material is cheap wood that I cut to size. Single based foot on 20 x 20 mm.

Nigel Heather
    Participant

Yes must admit, although I like the lipped design, the two things that put me off the Warlord games bases are

1) they seem too thin for me to pick up, instead I would have to lift the figure.

2) there isn’t enough range, I think there are only three, 25mm and 60mm circle and the pill shape for prone figures.

Cheers,

Nigel

Steeljackal
    Participant

Warlord also have 40mm. Rectangular and square bases too.

I who keep the models separate for team weapons, use 40mm bases that are perfect for weapon and gunner.

Haskeer
    Participant

I use Warlord’s plastic bases, but have the magnetic discs on them, which gives them a bit of weight and easier handling

• This reply was modified 3 years, 10 months ago by Haskeer.
    Nigel Heather
    Participant

Thanks, I’d not noticed their 40mm lipped bases before, it didn’t even click when I first saw your weapon crew – I thought it was a 60mm.

Cheers,

Nigel

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.