Most interesting Allied force

Home Forums Historical Bolt Action Most interesting Allied force

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    SweCristo
    Participant

Over the last three years I’ve collected three German forces, one Soviet and one Japanese and it occurred to me that this represents a serious imbalance towards Axis forces. But whenever I try to decide on another Allied force to collect I just can’t seem to find inspiration or motivation.

Having a strong theme in mind has helped keep me interested before so I’m looking for input on the most distinct Allied forces you can come up with. Theatre or year doesn’t matter and the force doesn’t necessarily need to have official rules for BA. Just anything you think would be distinct and interesting to see on the tabletop, if you have ideas for how to source models it’s even better.

Nat
    Participant

So define intresting….

looks / modeling – you’ve got the IFF  late 1944, so you can do a mix of free french in US & British uniforms with US armour + resistance fighters (with IFF arm bands) & supporting SAS / para’s /rangers

You’ve got British /Free french/dutch/norwegian etc commandos

LRDG (long range desert group) for that raiders with little armour support

US rangers,

Paras (market garden) = quite common though

As you’ve got Japanese you could do an Aussie force from papa new guinea … a mix of desert vertans & hastily recruited reservest plus some local warriors (who were head hunters… )

Master Chief
    Participant

I started playing Bolt Action 2nd Edition with the US Airborne, followed by Rangers, US Infantry, Soviets, 8th Army, LRDP, Afrika Korps, British Army and Commandos. Currently I am half way through my British SAS (European) force, to be followed by the British Airborne. Waiting in the wings are German (Heer, SS, Fallschirmjäger), Chindit, Australian, French, Polish, Partisan and Japanese armies. Lots of stuff to keep me occupied.

Greg S
    Participant

My most interesting army is my French Resistance.

Firstly its not hordes of uniformed guys all in the same colour.

Secondly, it wasn’t straight forward to assemble a large enough army of figures.   They come from at least half a dozen differnet manufacturers as well as ebay and took me several months to acquire.

Thirdly: it includes a whole host if of interesting figures, including Rick from Casablanca, Captain Renault, the Thin Man and Tin Tin.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by Greg S. Reason: It is Captain Renault, not Inspector ... I am shocked, shocked I tell you!
    SteveT
    Participant

Seems appropriate:

Jacob Carter
    Participant

Which German armies have you built?  If you’ve built late-war SS, Panzergrenadiers, and Fallschirmjager I’d suggest a XXX Corps/US Airborne mixed army for Market Garden.  The campaign book has brief rules for including a US Airborne platoon with XXX Corps armies so you could have some fun with larger point games.

SweCristo
    Participant

The partisan idea does sit well with me, it is a strong theme that is also versatile across several theatres with a few modifications. Especially with Wargames Atlantic’s fancy new kit coming.

The jungle fighters idea also sounds appealing and could tie into Konflikt ’47.

My German forces are pretty useless to connect any particular western Allied opposing force to, I’ve got a large platoon of early/midwar Stalingrad city fighters with an equally large Soviet platoon opposing it. One scratch 11th SS and Volkssturm platoon for Berlin and one K ’47 platoon with all the monstrosities. And my current project, a Japanese/Manchokou platoon.

SweCristo
    Participant

And you’re a cheeky b*****d. ;D

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.