Dug In confusion

Home Forums Historical Bolt Action Dug In confusion

Tagged: 

• This topic has 9 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by Nat.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    SteveT
    Participant

Thank you I advance for clearing this up…

As I understand it, Dug In gives an extra -2 cover?

If you go Down whilst dug in, that’s -4?

Thanks

Master Chief
    Participant

Page 163 of the Western Desert Campaign book:

A dug-in unit counts as Down when shot at, even if it’s not Down (additional -1 to be hit and the number of hits from HE is halved rounding down). If the unit does go Down while dug-in, the benefits of being Down are doubled (i.e. -2 to be hit and only one-quarter damage from HE).

Stuart Harrison
    Participant

Dug in edit – should read “Down” is -2 in second edition, so doubling it is -4.  Looks like the Western Desert author cut and paste from one of the theatre books drafted under first edition and missed the discrepancy.

Master Chief
    Participant

I am trying to find where in 2nd Ed mentions “dug-in”, but found page 117 of the Battle of the Bulge book similar to the Western Desert campaign book:

DUG IN RULES

Where specified in a scenario brief, some units may begin the game dug in. These units have had time to dig foxholes or other defensive positions. Dug in units can also be hidden. If terrain is not available to represent foxholes or trenches, counters can be used to highlight which units are dug in. A dug in unit counts as being Down when shot at, even if it has not been given a Down order. If the unit is issued a Down order whilst dug in, the benefits are doubled.

Master Chief
    Participant

Ah I see you mean Down is -2 to hit. 🌝

Master Chief
    Participant

Page 122 of the New Guinea book should be the correct one:

A Dug-In unit counts as being Down when shot at, even if it has not been given a Down order (additional -2 to hit and the number of hits from HE is halved, rounding down). If the unit is issued a Down order whilst Dug-In, the benefits are doubled.

Richard
    Participant

Ridiculous rule now as it stacks with cover.  6-6 to hit and you can still fire back.

Nat
    Participant

@richard – you mean almost realistic?  just a head and weapon showing whilst firing!… although I would have balanced it with the negative of the unit gaining the FIXED rule whilst in a ‘dug in’ position

Flamethrowers (preferably on a tank!) and /or smoke seems to be the way to deal with dug in troops

invisible officer
    Participant

Well,in that fun game the obvious weapon is missing at all – The hand grenade.

Even if not shooting you find no full cover in real world. trench, dug out, a room in a ruin….. all not very comfortable if someone lobs a grenade inside.

The writers sometimes forgot that. The Standard rifleman should be able to hit targets at short ranges even in full cover to represent the real world option of throwing a  …….

Nat
    Participant

true…. how about something like this?

Grenade, range 3″, shots 1 Pen 0 special: assault, thrown weapon, grenade

thrown weapon rules – ignore cover mods, never gets the point blank bonus,

grenade weapon rules – has +1 PEN against infantry, if hit does D2 hits

dont want them to powerful as they are free on most models

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.