Cavalry Lances

Home Forums Historical Bolt Action Cavalry Lances

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Greg
    Participant

I’m building a 1939 Polish army with cavalry squad. The notes say units with lances get one additional attack in close quarters. What does that mean exactly? If I have 13 troopers, do I get 14 dice? Does each model get 2 dice in the fight? I’m confused, and how this translates out will make a massive difference in how I buy & use my cav.

Stuart Harrison
    Participant

One additional attack PER MAN, not for the unit.
    5 lancers = 10 attacks, plus being cavalry they get “tough fighter” – additional attacks for each casualty inflicted.

invisible officer
    Participant

The lance rule is typical gamy fuss. In reality the advantage (if any) was minimal. British horse with P 1908 sword had no problem in 1914 to parry the German Stahlrohrlanze. And then piercing the enemy. A lot of the WWI / II Lance length was used as counter weight behind the hand , so the additional length compared to sword (or K 98 with bayonet) is small. Bought by having a clumsy weapon if the first thrust missed.

Tough fighter is more than enough bonus.

But it’s in the rules so ………

ChicagoDice
    Participant

One additional attack PER MAN, not for the unit.
    5 lancers = 10 attacks, plus being cavalry they get “tough fighter” – additional attacks for each casualty inflicted.

Correct!

Charge The Guns
    Participant

Ah, but IO, these are Polish lancers 😉

The legend of Sobieski must be worth at least one additional attack per figure!

On a serious note, it is interesting that the British dismissed the lance in the Peninsula, but then adopted it after 1815. Better for fighting ‘native’ infantry?

invisible officer
    Participant

😉
    Well, the 21st at Omdurman … .

The only advantage of the 20th century Lance was the ability to kill men lying on the ground out of sword reach.

Mr. C. as Hussar officer was lucky that his mom gave him a Made in German present for the trip.

Charge The Guns
    Participant

Mums are the best 🙂

Dr Dave
    Participant

Mr C’s Mum was very kind and thoughtful – if only my mum had been so generous.

BUT, Mr C was merely a correspondent riding (embedded?) with the 21st.

invisible officer
    Participant

His order from War Office reads:
    “You have been attached as a supernumerary Lieutenant to the 2lst Lancers for the Sudan campaign. It is understood that you will proceed at your own expense and that in the event of your being killed or wounded in the impending operation or for any other reason no charge of any kind will fall on British Army Funds.”

Clever financial Management. 😉

He wore his Hussar Dress but following a Polo injury he decided against the Sword. Wise. The crouching attackers tried to cut the horse legs, out of reach of the sabre.
    The Regiment lost 119 horses, most to these attacks.

The troopers found out that the Lance was bad for fencing, for defence against flank attack it was even less effective than a sword. The moment you are no longer galloping it was xxxxxx.
    Near to 20% kia or wounded.

Lance rules should have any advantage only in charge. And even there it would be a big ???

Charge The Guns
    Participant

Hi Dr. Dave. I bet that if you have gone off to ‘fight the Fuzzy Wuzzy’ then your Mum would have bought you two Mausers 🙂

I agree with IO that the lance would only offer any advantage at contact and if charging. Perhaps only against infantry as well. Strange that the German and French cavalry in 1914 were almost completely lance armed, to begin with.

When all is said and done, lances and lance pennons do look spiffy 🙂

I have seen some videos and in their videos when the Polish cavalry charges the infantry they give them 3 attacks per miniature that is fine or is it a mistake?

Stuart Harrison
    Participant

First edition – cavalry got 3 attacks without lances, lances gave an additional attack per man meaning 4 attacks.  This was cut back in second edition – 3 attacks replaced with tough fighter, lances still give an additional attack.

Always worth looking at the date on videos – still a lot out there from earlier editions, before an errata change etc.

Kar98k
    Participant

On a serious note, it is interesting that the British dismissed the lance in the Peninsula, but then adopted it after 1815. Better for fighting ‘native’ infantry?

Not just in the Peninsula, but the entire Napoleonic Wars (and before). Unlike the other major countries, the British didn’t have Lancers regiments. They didn’t appear until after the Napoleonic Wars. Also, the British heavy cavalry didn’t use the cuirass – no British Cuirassier regiments. Another side note is that the British Guard infantry didn’t start wearing the famous bearskin until after Waterloo – they took them from the French Old Guard after the battle.

Wait, there’s more! But in the Black Powder forum.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.