Black Powder 2!

Home Forums Historical Black Powder Black Powder 2!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 84 total)
  • Author
    Charge The Guns
    Participant

Announcement / teaser in today’s news-email. Very exciting.

Bit disappointed by the cover. Perhaps they will offer different covers? 😉

Bakblast
    Participant

Since Napoleonic is my main period, I’m fine with it

I hope the prose is as charming as the original, and the aim is the same

Dr Dave
    Participant

Yes, a rather odd choice of military dictator for the cover. When there were so many to choose from why go with the shortest one most prone to abandon his army in times of trouble and a jail bird to boot. Most odd.

As my dear Grandmother used to say: “Always judge a book by its cover!”

I shall make an exception on this occasion… I can’t wait!

Big Al
    Participant

I wonder what will be in it. Obviously, the corrections from the FAQ, but what else? I suspect that the Proximity Rule will be adopted from those in Hail Caesar. From the comments I have seen, I don’t expect many of the supplement rules to be included. My reasoning is that those supplements are period specific and the rules cover a vast era. Besides that, the announcement states that the rules will still be compatible with the supplements.
    Thoughts?

Wiegraf
    Participant

Though I do not play Black Powder currently I am curious as well. Black Powder, Pike and Shotte, and Hail Caesar! are all derived from the same sort of basket of eggs and I think they’re all quite successful and already wonderful as is. I am hoping that it is simply clarification on the rules with a few more additional items that the Black Powder and the other games were previously missing.

As for the cover…. I am still a fan of Black Lung Cigarettes!

Dr Dave
    Participant

Well, if we’re taking bets, I hope that skirmishers don’t block artillery fire anymore. That screen of horse-vaulting volitguers stopping 9pdr round shot and saving the column behind always seemed odd.

Marecki
    Participant

Maybe some rules from Clash of the Eagles will apear in main book, like: the unit that makes more than one move can’t shoot or unit in line formation has 8″ move than 12″.

Big Al
    Participant

Or perhaps forcing units in Attack Column to form line when attacked or when they charge an enemy.

Big Al
    Participant

I agree Dr Dave. Skirmishers forming a screen to stop ordinary small arms fire makes sense, but artillery shot…

invisible officer
    Participant

And even that gabion like use of skirmishers is fuss. Their job was to shoot at the enemy line / column and keep enemy skirmishers away from doing the same to yours. By forcing them out of range! But any musket balls fired in range flew to the column behind.

A 6 or 9 pdr ball went through many rows of men like the hot knife and butter thing. A thin screen of men …….

To silence a battery or gun section with skirmisher fire happened rarely so even such an effect should not be expected.

Bakblast
    Participant

When it comes to attack columns, I hope they recognize the difference between attack columns and a column of division, they are NOT the same thing, they functioned differently

Simply put an attack column (or zug column) getting a +1 for forming line, and a line getting a + 1 for forming attack collmun

Stir the pot

Igor
    Participant

There are alreade difference between division column and zugcolumn in the rules. In “Albion Triumphant vol. 2” were discribet rule “column of companies”.

Bakblast
    Participant

Igor I know that, it’s just interesting that he describes the zug column, yet it is formed the same as a French attack collumn (on the center companies) which had been in use for 20 years by the time of Waterloo
    Yet he ingnores the reason the formation was adapted in the first place

Charge The Guns
    Participant

I imagine that details of different attack columns used in one conflict would remain something for the supplements. The core rules would be more generic.

Big Al
    Participant

I agree. I have noticed that in recent discussions, people are expecting more period specific rule changes or inclusions. They seem to forget that the rulebook is just the engine for a huge era of history covering many conflicts over the period. A lot of the issues that they have spring from their own inability to utilise the Special Rules and apply them to a specific period. They also tend to forget that the supplements introduce their own issues – people don’t necessarily agree with the suggested rules or they may not be as clear as the author intended – yet people blame the main rulebook and it’s author for this.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 84 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.