Vehicle assault in close combat infantry

Home Forums Historical Bolt Action Vehicle assault in close combat infantry

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Steeljackal
    Participant

For vehicle that assault infantry, is there a condition that it has LOS on the target (as with infantry CQC)?
    In the rulebook it is not clear, it is not mentioned in the paragraph relating to vehicles that assault infantry, but it could be that the condition of the previous chapter CQC remains in value.

Nat
    Participant

No LoS required… however the tanks (DV 8+ only) assault move is a run order that must move half move or more in a straight line…

What would stop LoS and not stop the Tanks move?

Steeljackal
    Participant

What would stop LoS and not stop the Tanks move?

Simply that if the attacker does not see the target I thought he could not decide to assault him (as for the infantry).

Thanks for the clarification 👍

Attachments:
    Haskeer
    Participant

“What would stop LoS and not stop the Tanks move?”

Smoke?

Nat
    Participant

Good point on the smoke… shows how often I’ve seen it used!…

Steeljackal
    Participant

Smoke?
    I don’t understand. Smoke prevents the tank assault, why if LOS is not required?

Haskeer
    Participant

Steel Jackal – I was only saying that smoke blocks LoS but doesn’t prevent moving. I wasn’t saying it stops the assault.

Tim Haslam
    Participant

BA is quite a simplistic game, and one I love playing.
    So,
    Basic rule for any assault in the game is LOS
    Add to that the extra rules for tank assault,
    Must move in a straight line…

So I would say, the basic rule structure is your first point, los is needed.
    After that, use the tank assault rules. Simples.
    And smoke would appear to cover the infantry!

X

Nat
    Participant

@Tim Haslam – I disagree that tanks need LoS – they are not attacking the target unit.. they are driving forward at speed. The individulas in the target unit dont get singled out and struck – even other vehicles are rammed which is more of an ‘oh there you are’ kinda thing :p. On top of that you can go over multiple units if you have the speed.

So whilst they call it Tank Assault in the rules I’d argue that you could as easily just call it Tank Shock Move.

Steeljackal
    Participant

Tim Haslam, this is what I think.

This is like in “SNAP TO ACTION AND VEHICLES” topic.

There is a basic rule, that is modified or supplemented by extra rule for vehicle.

“…DECLARE TARGET
    The player declares that the unit is making an assault and indicates the enemy unit that will be attacked.
    The unit making the assault must be able to see the target enemy unit…”
    “unit” not “infantry”, so tank too?

Nat
    Participant

Hrm…. fair point in the Declear target point of moving in to combat (ebook pg 183 – refs pg 74 for shooting, the same as Infantry assaults on pg 123 does)

So its looking like Smoke DOES block a vehicle assault by the Rules… However I’d allow it for Holywood cinematics feel – the tanks barrelling through the smoke to crush the unexpecting soldiers :p
    Might insist on the -1 shooting for soft cover though!

Master Chief
    Participant

Yes, if the tank can’t see its target because of the smoke, it wouldn’t know where the target is to drive through.

Steeljackal
    Participant

I ask to Warlord Games rules team, and they send me this:

“Hi Omar,

The team have got back to me – in short, you DO need line of sight to assault with a tank!

Kind Regards
    Marcus”

So, LOS is nedeed.

Stuart Harrison
    Participant

“There is a basic rule, that is modified or supplemented by extra rule for vehicle.”

I’d say this is where you hit on the truth.

You’ll note there are no detailed step by step procedures at the start of the vehicle shooting rules and assaulting rules. That is because the vehicle rules only tell you where vehicles diverge from the general rules (same with artillery rules). The parts of the general rule not mentioned are still in effect. The Declare Targets step in both procedures isn’t mentioned because it is unchanged from the general rules.

Tim Haslam
    Participant

So I was correct!
    There’s always a first time…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.