The 1 inch rule

Home Forums Historical Bolt Action The 1 inch rule

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    SteveT
    Participant

I understand that any two friendly units cannot be closer than 1 inch to each other.

I can see why it was done to avoid confusing piles of figures.  But do any of you ignore this rule, especially for when a commander is alongside another group? And even more relevant, how about a group of men sheltering behind a halftrack or tank? They should somehow shelter 1″ back and end up being more exposed?!!!

On a similar note, the already–much-discussed rule of 1 unit per building (floor) seems odd when it comes to a single commander being unable to accompany a squad or men, so as to..err… command them. And even if we ignore this rule (possibly it was improved or something in the Stalingrad book?), then he still needs to be an inch apart from any men in the same room. Tricky for a small room.

Steeljackal
    Participant

From vehicles chapter
    “…We don’t allow tanks or other vehicles to move through friends, or to be moved through by friends.
    Vehicles must negotiate their way around friends whether they are infantry, artillery or other vehicles.
    Vehicles must normally stay more than 1” from enemy units, as per the general 1” gap rule…”

To me as always reulesbook is not clear. Seems don’t speak of 1″ rule for friend, but only for enemy, but then says “as per general 1″ gap rule” so seems general 1″ gap rules apply to vehicles and friends too. In our club we don’t apply 1″ gap to infantry friendly unit beacuse rules say “To help prevent units becoming muddled or positions confused during the battle…” so if we follow the logic/motivation behind rule, 1″ gap is not necessary for infantry near vechiles. There are historical pics when you can see infantry walk near tank to benefit of cover, and if you have to stay 1″ away is harder to use tank cover.

Steeljackal
    Participant

In building rules are clear, one unit per floor. If building is big then you can divide floor in section and put one unit per section.

Nat
    Participant

Our club keeps a gap between infantry and other infantry so you can tell squads / teams apart… but yeah we dont bother with the 1″ between vehicles and infantry

Charles
    Participant

I believe the intent of the rule is to keep a large enough gap so units don’t get mixed up. As long as we can do that, local gamers here don’t get that picky about it. But this would be up to you and your opponent.

Stuart Harrison
    Participant

“To me as always reulesbook is not clear. ”

I have to disagree with you here.

The rule is quite simply stated – p35, Units, One-Inch Gap, “… units must always end their move 1″ or more from any other unit whether friend or foe.” with a stated exception for close quarters.  The second para then adds that you can’t move within 1″ of an enemy unit during your move unless assaulting.  Use of ‘units’ rather than infantry/artillery/vehicles in the statement of the rule makes it applicable to all unit types.

P45, Movement, Interpenetration of Friendly Units provides a specific provision for infantry units to pass through other friendly infantry or artillery units so long as the finish in compliance with the 1″ gap rule.  The second para goes on to state “We don’t allow tanks or other vehicles to move through friends, or to be moved through by friends.”

P102, Vehicles, Vehicles and Movement, Interpenetration isn’t something new that should confuse you, it’s just a restatement of what’s already established in the general movement rules above.  The only mention of the 1″ gap rule and enemy is immediately followed by reference to assaults – something you don’t do to friends – and is fully in line with the general rules for the 1″ gap.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.