team model weapons

Home Forums Historical Bolt Action team model weapons

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    martyn simpson
    Participant

The army lists often make reference to having the weapon the model is armed with. If they make no such reference are they unarmed? I’m thinking here of a situation when my Panzershreck team was close assaulted. One model has a SMG the other a pistol modeled. Often weapon teams will show one crew member with a weapon.

Stuart Harrison
    Participant

Weapon team members are usually not allocated weapons (exception for some nations sniper teams) as per p73, Weapons, Team Weapons, second para, last sentence. They fight with the default one attack in close quarters, and no special rules – they don’t get any benefit from what they’re modelled with.

martyn simpson
    Participant

Thanks Stuart. Once again I need to read the rules more carefully.

L.T. Russell
    Participant

Howdy martyn!

It was a fair question.  One a the main reasons for the development of the M1 Carbine was for weapons crews, who were generally not issued infantry rifles, to have something more effective that a pistol.  In the books, HQ units generally list under Weapon; “Pistol, submachinegun, rifle or assault rifle as depicted on the model.  I’m sure there’s all kindsa exceptions through the various scenario and army books.  I know that the German “Panzer Zerstorer Gruppe” might have up to 3 Panzerschrecks, but the whole gruppe are armed with SMGs….

In my own experience, admittedly post-WWII, machinegunners and AGs were issued pistols.  On a medium MG team, the Ammo Carrier had his rifle.  When operating as a two-man LMG team, I’d have my AG draw a rifle, instead of a pistol….

SteveT
    Participant

Yes, it is a very open to interpretation when they do not provided a list of option. Taking it to silly extremes, you could model a Russian sniper team with captured Panzerfausts or Assault Rifles, which might win you games but no friend :p

Stuart Harrison
    Participant

Where is it open to interpretation? Sniper teams do not have any ‘… as depicted on the model’ in the weapon line (that’s only HQ units), they have defined weapons as allocated in the weapon line of their entry in the army list, or if the supplement author was following the rules, just the one sniper rifle same as any other team weapon. The option for ‘concealed weapons’ allowing a pistol, p153, only applies to unarmed models in a unit with that ‘… as depicted on the model’ weapons line.

Even for HQ units, that as depicted text is from a list of options none of which include panzerfausts (German HQs usually have the option of assault rifles).

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.