Snap to action and vehicles

Home Forums Historical Bolt Action Snap to action and vehicles

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Steeljackal
    Participant

From rulebook I understand:

– Officer morale bonus and “snap to action” has no effect on a vehicle and units on board vehicles
    – if officer is on board the vehicle, the officer morale bonus and “snap to action” has no effect on nearby units
    – exception: if the officer is on board the vehicle, only the morale bonus (not “snap to action”) affects the vehicle and other units on board (even when it is in reserve)
    – command vehicle only has morale bonus (not “snap to action”) to other vehicles (not infantry or artillery)

All right?

Nat
    Participant

Not quite,

Officers that are on the board can add moral & ‘snap to’ to vehicles – see the FAQ about IS2s and the slow load rule (FAQ is free to download from the warlord store)

Edit – explanation – the Moral & snap to actions dont limit which type of UNITS they can apply to. An all vehicles are units of 1 model (normally…)

• This reply was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by Nat.
    Steeljackal
    Participant

Ok, so officer morale bonus and “snap to action” has effect on vehicles but command vehicle only has morale bonus (not “snap to action”) to other vehicles (not infantry or artillery)

Nat
    Participant

yeah… makes command vehicle upgrade a bit… meh!

On paper I think its worth spending the points on an officer in a jeep when playing tank war!

Stuart Harrison
    Participant

“command vehicle only has morale bonus (not “snap to action”) to other vehicles ”

Even more limited than that – Command Vehicle moral bonus only benefits friendly armoured vehicles. It does nothing for soft skins.

If you add a radio net (from Tank War) that additional bonus only benefits armoured vehicles from the same platoon, not all friendly armoured vehicles.

martyn simpson
    Participant

I don’t like this snap to rule being able to apply to vehicles and conferring a morale bonuses especially to a buttoned (pinned) down tank. OK I know some vehicles had telephones on the outside…so let the officer use this 🙂

Can anyone provide an actual incident of this happening?

Nat
    Participant

@Martyn – are you asking for real world where Infantry told a tank what to do? Or game play?

If you stop all Vehicles from benifiting from ‘Snap to’ you are going to end up unbalancing the game… for example you would drop trucks by 4-5 points meaning that a regular one with MMG is now cheeper than a MMG team (!) OR are you saying that they are to cheep already – and that 300+ point regular tank which now doesnt benifet has effectively gone up in cost….

Yeah the only game play result in stopping that will be the complete demise of vehicles from the table top….

martyn simpson
    Participant

The only thing I’m asking for is some reference to WW2 tank infantry interaction. I’m not troubled by the points aspects of the game and will often play scenarios from other sources such as the skirmish campaign books incorporating troops hidden properly (i.e not placed on the table) and other house rules. Again how you use the rule book is up to the individual and his mates. Bolt Action are a fine set of rules and able to handle this.

Nat
    Participant

http://www.theshermantank.com/category/tank-infantry-phone/

point #10 talking about the infantry phone… its got examples of the US in the pacific – I have seen a photo of infantry on the back of a sherman in a town using the phone to direct fire against a house with a sniper in it.

A number of the British Shermans where fited with them (rear right just above the track guard) for Overlord and noted as having been used.

If you want to go historical then I’d say that there must be a unit within 2″ of the rear of the tank that is within range of the officer to get the snap to. And the officers unit must be in behind in coherancy with the vehicle to get the moral bonus

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.