Small arms vs Open top

Home Forums Historical Bolt Action Small arms vs Open top

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    SteveT
    Participant

If infantry shoot at, say, an open-top AFV, I assume the best they can achieve is a pin?

How about a sniper vs an open-topped vehicle (of any kind)? Do they just kill the crew one at a time?

I am not very clear on how Bolt Action handles these things.

Master Chief
    Participant

For open topped armoured vehicles, small arms can only pin them (see attached page 118). Sniper fire against soft-skinned open top vehicles will destroy the vehicle when it scores damage. For armoured open top vehicles it can only pin.

Attachments:
    Steeljackal
    Participant

Open-topped apply only to armoured vehicles (7+), not to soft-skinned (6).

Small arms (sniper is part of the small arms) can only pin open-topped armoured vehicle . Can’t damage.

Soft-skinned vehicles (6) can be damaged by small arms (sniper is part of the small arms). If score damage roll -> then roll on damage table (remember that superficial damage only apply to armoured vehicles 7+).

Sniper is part of the small arms, and exceptional damage don’t apply on soft-skinned vehicles.

Finally remember that additional penetration modifier for Heavy Weapon (Vehicle’s side or top armour +1, Vehicle’s rear armour +2, Long range –1) apply ONLY Against Armoured Targets, not soft-skinned.

Master Chief
    Participant

Open-topped apply only to armoured vehicles (7+), not to soft-skinned (6).

Haha silly me, I never noticed 🤦‍♂️

Phil from oz
    Participant

On page 93   of the French and allies book in the Greek list. Cv33 is rated as open topped , is this true for the Italian version   Cheers

SteveT
    Participant

Not  open-topped in the Italian list. (L3/33).

pp. 23–24.

Nanashi
    Participant

Since this has already been necrobumped, figured I’d mention one weird thing about Open-Topped I noticed recently. The actual open topped rule is “Open-topped armoured vehicles are pinned by hits from small-arms in the same way as soft-skins and infantry.” (plus some other stuff not relevant to this). This specifies small arms so, strictly speaking, this means an HMG or long distance anti-tank rifle making a frontal attack against a veteran 8+ open-topped won’t pin, but using small arms to make the same attack will. Same issue applies with long distance anti-tank rifle or anti-tank rifle vs. 9+ open topped.

Stuart Harrison
    Participant

@Nanashi,

I’d refer you back to p101, Vehicles, Vehicles and Pinning.

The first sentence is the rule stating small arms can’t pin fully enclosed armoured vehicles.
    Second sentence tells you that pins from heavy weapons vs fully enclosed armoured vehicles is dependent on experience.
    Each of the subsequent sub headings is specifically about fully enclosed armoured vehicles.

There is no rule that actually makes pinning an open-topped vehicle dependent on what it’s hit by in the first place.  That paragraph in the open-topped rule does nothing more than remind us that open tops don’t benefit from the clause about small arms above.  A similar reminder about the rest not applying would make sense, but isn’t necessary to still be true.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.