MMGs On German Transport Trucks

Home Forums Historical Bolt Action MMGs On German Transport Trucks

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Charles
    Participant

The selector allows for adding a forward arc mmg to German transport trucks such as an Opel Blitz or Maultier. I want to add one to my model, but cannot find an historical photo or a miniature model anywhere showing where it would be mounted. Does anyone have a photo or know if it would be mounted on the roof of the cab to be operated by someone in the cab, or on a pintel in the bed sticking over the cab to be operated by someone in the back, or maybe mounted to the door to be operated by the shotgun (or mmg) rider? Thanks

Nigel Heather
    Participant

I can only think it would have been an MG34 or MG42 mounted on the front wall of the cargo area, with the barrel pointing over the top of the cab and the gunner stood in the cargo area.

I have seen models configured like that but not any real archive pictures.

I imagine it would have been improvised rather than a standard fit.  Most likely the squad MG which they would take with them when they disembark.

Cheers,

Nigel

• This reply was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by Nigel Heather.
    Charles
    Participant

That sounds most likely and easy enough to model. Thanks for the suggestion.

SteveT
    Participant

Charles
    Participant

That’s perfect! Thanks for the picture.

Steeljackal
    Participant

I made so (with magnets)

• This reply was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by Steeljackal.
    Charles
    Participant

Thanks for the idea. Great job with adding a mmg to a transport. That looks great.

invisible officer
    Participant

The German 1944 Kraftfahr Zug / Platoon 30 ton had 10 Lorries with 10 Drivers and no co  Driver.  Zugführer in light car with a Driver and a Kradmelder with a motorbike.

For these 10 lorries and staff 2 LMG are assigned.  The Zugführer had a pistol, all others a K 98. The MG had no special fixing point on the 3 ton Lorry. Under air attack the men jumped out and might use the LMG for defence from ground. Main role was for defence if standing somewhere.

Only in Pantergrenadiere and some mot Divisions the infantry had lorries. In these cases the LMG of the transported  squad could be used too. But German Feolddienstordmumg / rules for Action made clear that a lorry is no fighting vehicle.  If you need to fire a MG – Dismount.

Kar98k
    Participant

The idea that German trucks had MGs is more of a movie motivated myth than actual historical doctrine. As one of many examples, the picture below is from the movie Kelly’s Heroes. However, since Bolt Action is more of a fun and entertaining game depicting Hollywood war films and not a true historical WW2 simulator, the rule for adding an MG to a German truck (for +15 points) blends right into the game. That being said, historically speaking we should not overlook the possibility of an improvised field modification for whatever reason.

Movie German Truck with MG

SteveT
    Participant

https://world-war-2.wikia.org/wiki/Opel_Blitz_T3.6S

Talks about guns as field upgrades, not official additions.

Steeljackal
    Participant
    Steeljackal
    Participant

I made so

https://www.instagram.com/p/CEC2O7DnEmE/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

EDIT
    Sorry for the double posts, but since they changed the forum it doesn’t work well for me, often the posts don’t come out and as in this case they have appeared several times

• This reply was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by Craig.
    • This reply was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by Steeljackal.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.