M3 White Scout car firing rules

Home Forums Historical Bolt Action M3 White Scout car firing rules

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Moin moin,

some days ago I had the idea to let the capitalist work for my russians, so now I am the proud owner of the M3 Scout car, when I looked at the model I could see that it was possible to fire all weapons in all directions, but the rules do not allow it, what would you do in such a case – ignore the rules or should I hope that Warlord games will correct them ?

” artillery is the god or war”

Master Chief
    Participant

Bolt Action 2nd Edtion page 114:

Transport vehicles have a minimal crew, so they can only fire one of the weapons they are equipped with. If they are equipped with more than one weapon, these can be fired only if the vehicle is carrying/towing a unit whose members act as weapon crew – each weapon being fired needs one man to operate it. If the vehicle has no passengers, it can fire only one of its weapons.

The rules do allow as long as they have passengers onboard.

Nigel Heather
    Participant

I get where you are coming from.  The White Scout Car had a rail that went around the perimeter of the whole crew compartment so weapons could be attached at any position and moved if required.

Whether weapons slid easily on that rail or needed to unclamped, removed and clamped is something I don’t know.

All the examples I have seen have had a 50 cal on the front and optionally a 30 cal or the ‘vickers style’ that the marine corps used on the back.

I would say that in the time frame over which that Bolt Action battles take place, the guns wouldn’t be relocated.  So my view is that it should be one or two MGs, one covering the front arc and one covering the rear arc.

Cheers,

Nigel

Anonymous
    Inactive

Moin moin,

that is correct, but that was not my question, I asked , why should it not be possible to fire the weapons in ALL directions, it is clear to see that they were mounted on a “Umlaufschiene”, therefore it should be possible, for gaming reasons the car would be stronger,

greetings Thomas

Anonymous
    Inactive

Sorry Nigel, Iwas to late with my post.

Nat
    Participant

@Master Chief – the M3 Scout car has the option of taking 4 pintel mount HMGs with have limited fire acrs in game … off top of my head front + left, front + right, rear + left, rear + right

@Thomas
    – the HMGs are on the corners of the transport area and whilst theoritically alble to fire accross the loading bay its not that practicle

EDIT – oops real world interfeared between writing and posting… during that time other answers occured!

• This reply was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by Nat.
    Nick
    Participant

I don’t know about railings and movement. What I know is I would not want to be a driver or 50 cal gunner with 2 30 cal gunners shooting thru front arc. I also would not want to be a side gunner when the other side gunner has climbed over railing ,holding onto weapon and shooting thru my arc.  It was probably done but my guess is rarely.

Master Chief
    Participant

Ah I see you mean for all the 3 MGs to have 360° arc of fire. I am guessing it will make the M3 too powerful with all 3 MGs firing simultaneously in the same arc, so currently only the 2 added MMGs can fire at the same target in the rear arc. It might also conflict with the platform mounted rules which allow a 360° firing arc as the 3 MGs are not platform mounted, but that’s just my guess.

My favourite use of the M3 White scout car for both US and Soviets is to transport a team of engineers quickly into enemy territory, dismount, attack with the engineer’s flamethrower, and take the objective. The scout car’s MGs can provide some covering fire if needed.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hallo Master Chief,

in fact it was my idea too to use the M3 in different roles, my first plan was to use it as a scout car that has the ability the pull some guns or mainly use it as an light armored artillery tractor, your hint with the engineers is great, I love these guys with their flame thrower and their damage output at short ranges,

good idea, Thomas

Nick
    Participant

In armies of Soviet Union lend lease shows only way to get a M3 scout car is under the Armor car section. The M3 in  armor car section shows it to be unable to carry passengers. Easy Army shows them in Transport section but how did they get there. Do they show up in another book I don’t have

Thanks

Master Chief
    Participant

In Fortress Budapest book page 152:

GUARDS MECHANISED BRIGADE ARMOURED PLATOON

Transports and Tows
    0–1 Transport or tow vehicle per infantry or artillery unit in the Reinforced Platoon from: Truck, Half-track truck, Komsomolets artillery tractor, Gaz jeep, Lend-Lease M3 Scout Car, Lend-Lease Universal Carrier

I actually missed the distinction between armoured car and transport in the Soviet Army book, and assumed if the vehicles were leased to the Soviets they can be used as both transports and armoured cars.

It is also allowed as a selection in the FORWARD DETACHMENT RECONNAISSANCE PARTY REINFORCED PLATOON on page 153 of the same book:

Transports and Tows
    0–1 Transport vehicle per infantry unit in the Reinforced Platoon from: Lend-Lease M3 Scout Car, Lend-Lease Universal Carrier, Gaz ‘jeep’.

Stuart Harrison
    Participant

Yes, the skate rail went all the way round, but it would be rare for it to be clear to actually slide the guns around, and they were usually clamped in one position on the rail – see illustration from a model below or there are walk around videos showing the pads that were attached, various stowage that would interfere with free travel of the MG mounts on the rail etc.

Nick
    Participant

Thanks. We do not have that book so don’t play those scenarios. Thanks for quick response.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.