Can Japanese Native Irregulars Banzai?

Home Forums Historical Bolt Action Can Japanese Native Irregulars Banzai?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Mark Prichard
    Participant

Do Japanese Native Irregulars get all the same rules as normal Japanese units with the Banzai charge and being fanatics?

• This topic was modified 4 years, 5 months ago by Mark Prichard.
    Nat
    Participant

Depends on what the entry says …

I take it that they are from the new guinea book?
    If it says that they can be taken in a normal japanese army without any qualifiers (ie saying they are exempt from x rule) they Yes they do get all the rules of the Japanese army.

Not having the book I cant say 100%, however for example if I use the soviet hungarian unit from fortress Budapest I still get the ‘Not One Step Back!’ rule as they are part of my Soviet army.

Haskeer
    Participant

I’m building a Japanese force, so this is of interest to me, but being a total newcomer to the game my opinion probably isn’t worth much.
    However, out of fair play alone I wouldn’t expect my native irregulars to have the same zeal as my Japanese nationals, so wouldn’t be using the Banzai rule with them against my gaming buddies.
    As far as the rules go, if you compare them to the Aussies Papuan tribesmen, they have the same unit composition, pretty much word for word the same special rules, but the Papuan entry specifically states they don’t have the Aussie ‘Never Give Up’ special rule.

If I was an Australian player, I’d be more concerned that the Papuans cost 15pts per veteran model, whereas the Japanese irregulars only cost 13pts per veteran model.

Am I missing something?

John.

Stuart Harrison
    Participant

“Am I missing something?” Unfortunately not.

If anything, the Native Irregulars should cost the same (or possibly one point more than) the PIB rather than being two points/man cheaper.

Both get forward deployment;

Infiltration = Behind Enemy Lines (you have to wonder why the EiF author wrote a new rule rather than use the existing title and wording from AoGB);

Fieldcraft for Native Irregulars = Jungle fighters for PIB;

Fieldcraft for PIB gives a slight situational buff in the first turn

That leaves “Local Troops” for Native Irregulars, a buff, vs “Native Troops” for PIB, a negative. The PIB buff from Fieldcraft is balanced by the negative from Native Troops, so that leaves the Native Irregulars with the buff from Local Troops.

Greg S
    Participant

Infiltration = Behind Enemy Lines (you have to wonder why the EiF author wrote a new rule rather than use the existing title and wording from AoGB);

Unfortunately there is a lack of consistency across BA army books and campaign books. I think Warlord needed someone to oversee the rules and points in each book.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.