hungarian army painting

Home Forums Historical Bolt Action hungarian army painting

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    thomas
    Participant

Hello,
    I would like to build a Hungarian winter army, but I have no idea what colour to use for both types of uniforms and for the paratroopers’ pants.
    I am taking all the advice I can get on this subject.
    Thank you in advance for your answers.

ps: excuse my English, I’m French.

Paul Nettle
    Participant

I recommend buying the Osprey book about the Hungarian army – it is a superb painting guide.

thomas
    Participant

Thank you, for your answer. I have the pdf version of this book, indeed it is very interesting, but I confess I remain perplexed about the choice of prince august/vallejo paintings to use to paint the figurines.

Nat
    Participant

Those are just common makes of modelers paints, if you have a look online you can find the same hex numbers (the make up of the paint) or very similar done by other manufacturers.

for example there are a number of Vallejo to Citadel /GW guides

thomas
    Participant

Thank you for your answer. Sorry I have trouble expressing myself (I’m not English speaking), what I have a problem with is the choice of paints from the valljo brand to use for Hungarian winter uniforms

Nat
    Participant

Ah ok, think I know what your saying..

The choice of colour comes from a number of sources, in some case’s its the original specs of items (eg cotton dye or the paint used on the aircraft etc). In other cases its a colour match between what was used in the field / after weathering to equal whats in the paint tin.

You could also have shades of close enough :p

As the Soviet Army paint guide says, you have all sorts of quality control issues & weathering issues to contend with, so I go with a close enough approach… a bit more Hollywood than actual Museum

EDIT – PS your English is very good, dont knock it

• This reply was modified 5 years ago by Nat.
    Paul Nettle
    Participant

Hello – you can try this painting guide: here. This is for painting 15mm miniatures, but they look as good as some of my 28mm figures.

The official Warlords game painting guide makes the Hungarians come out green, whereas they should be khaki (ie light brown). English Uniform painted over a darker brown usually does it.

Also, the Warlord games guide has their helmets bright green, whereas they should be far darker.

thomas
    Participant

Hello,
    thank you both for your answers. The tutorial is very interesting, but I want to represent Hungarians in winter with this kind of outfit that are green I think.

Paul Nettle
    Participant

Ah I see – it is late war you wanted to do? Mine are 1942 Eastern Front – on the Don – hence khaki uniforms. If you go to the offial Warlord games site they have a painting tutorial on how to paint them green.

Nat
    Participant

some interesting ideas, might be more the colours your looking for.

Paul Nettle
    Participant

Be aware thast the top attachment picture (the reversable padded jacket) was extreemly rare and the colour of the padded jacket – the pale green – was specific to that padded outfit. That green was not applied to ordinary uniforms.

invisible officer
    Participant

Exactly. Brownish khaki was standard. The Hungarian uniform base color became a bit more green in late war in part of the production . Not changing by intent but caused by the material available.

Hungary lacked the capacity to produce enough in 44/45 so many of the Hungarian units newly trained in Germany/Austria got German material.
    M 35 helmets delivered in WW II came in factory color of “Feldgrau”. Pre war ones got often painted in brown. Often semi glossy.
    In winter a wash of chalk was often used. Real white color was rarely used to safe brown color in spring.

The camo cape was often replaced with a white one. linen found in next town. The specially made white winter stuff was rare. Most Hungarian soldiers had to use layers of cloth, based on the khaki standard coat.

Late war the side cap was replaced by a peaked field cap. The Peak being Cloth covered. Even 1944 some wore the old WW I helmet, not the M 35. They had to use what was in store.

thomas
    Participant

Thank you very much to all of you for your answers. You have taught me a lot and provided me with a lot of information. I admit I’m not a fan of the warlords games tutorial to paint Hungarians.

Nat
    Participant

I used the Soviet one as a guide… then decided to do my own thing :p

eg using a Battle Front khaki as a base colour for the uniforms, GW calaban green for the vehicles /field guns and helmets, a BF leather brown for the leather straps, etc.. my tanks are currently flat painted, ie single colour with no highlights, shading or toning, but they do for games.

As said before weather alters colours a lot… I used to have an issued set of DPM Combats, aka camo gear, that was shades of yellow instead of light brown, the dark brown had gone black and the black was a washed out grey!
    And a dark green t-shirt that looked brown when put against newer issued t-shirts..

So guess what I’m saying is use the guide for indication and techniques but go with the colours that make sense to you and fit the theme and feel you’re going for with your army.

thomas
    Participant

Thank you very much for your answers, indeed you are right the colors change with the weather and the weather. So I think it is almost impossible to have a perfect shade, I will try to find a color that most closely resembles the history and that suits me. If I find good colors I will not hesitate to share them with you

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.