Firefight and hand grenade

Home Forums Historical Bolt Action Firefight and hand grenade

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Steeljackal
    Participant

From Firefight update – faq:

“On an Advance or Fire action, a unit may elect to throw a hand grenade instead. Resolve a D2 HE attack against a target within 6”

1) you have to roll to hit before?

2) Firefight rules say that HE inflicts 1 hit to target and 1 hit to models inside HE template. So what mean “D2 HE attack”?

Jacob Carter
    Participant

I doubt you’ll find an exact answer since firefight doesn’t seem to be an “official” rule set.

My guess is that you will have to roll to hit as with any other weapon.

The D2 could mean any number of things; number of inches of the explosion radius, how many “shots” are taken, or even could be a typo for D3/1” template.  My best guess would be number of shots in the attack since they don’t specify (D2”) and the grenade has a 1” template, but use your best judgement so long as you agree with your opponent

Stuart Harrison
    Participant

D2 HE is first edition HE notation – to convert first edition HE to template sizes, see the HE chart on p70 of the second edition MRB and cross reference the ‘hits vs units in buildings’ column as explained in the para below the chart.

Steeljackal
    Participant

Stuart Harrison

Participant

D2 HE is first edition HE notation – to convert first edition HE to template sizes, see the HE chart on p70 of the second edition MRB and cross reference the ‘hits vs units in buildings’ column as explained in the para below the chart.

I thought this, but D2 HE there was in 1st edition, in 2nd edition there isn’t (1” is D3 in buildings).

Second edition is published in 2016, and Firefight published on website in 2019. In 2019 they wrote firefight rules based on first edition?!

• This reply was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by Steeljackal.
    Steeljackal
    Participant

Jacob Carter

Participant

I doubt you’ll find an exact answer since firefight doesn’t seem to be an “official” rule set.

My guess is that you will have to roll to hit as with any other weapon.

I agree

Jacob Carter

Participant

The D2 could mean any number of things; number of inches of the explosion radius, how many “shots” are taken, or even could be a typo for D3/1” template.  My best guess would be number of shots in the attack since they don’t specify (D2”) and the grenade has a 1” template

I don’t think D2 is the variable template radius (from 1” to 2″)  because he wrote D2 and not D2″

I don’t think D2 is number of shots in the attack because he wrote that you can throw one hand grenade and in rules one mortar/arty/rifle grenade is always one roll to hit (in rules only autocannon can shot quickly more than one grenade so more than one shot per attack)

It always seems to be so difficult for Warlord’s writers to write things down clearly XD

but use your best judgement so long as you agree with your opponent

Perhaps the most logical thing is to treat hand grenades as s normal HE 1″, like a light mortar or a light/medium AT gun. Maybe I’m wrong, but I don’t think that a hand grenade is more powerfull than a light mortar grenade.

What do you think?

Master Chief
    Participant

Academy of Street Fighting, page 2:

On an Advance or Fire action, a unit may elect to throw a hand grenade instead. Resolve a 1” HE attack against a target within 6”.

Stuart Harrison
    Participant

“I thought this, but D2 HE there was in 1st edition, in 2nd edition there isn’t (1” is D3 in buildings).”

Last part of the last sentence of that paragraph I referred you to:

“… and note that both HE(D2) and (D3) use the 1″ template.”

Steeljackal
    Participant
    Master Chief

Participant

Academy of Street Fighting, page 2:

On an Advance or Fire action, a unit may elect to throw a hand grenade instead. Resolve a 1” HE attack against a target within 6”.

Clear! Thank you!

Steeljackal
    Participant
    Stuart Harrison

Participant

“I thought this, but D2 HE there was in 1st edition, in 2nd edition there isn’t (1” is D3 in buildings).”

Last part of the last sentence of that paragraph I referred you to:

“… and note that both HE(D2) and (D3) use the 1″ template.”

I red that, but Firefight update is wrote on 2019,  and Second edition is published in 2016!!! I repeat myself, they wrote firefight rules with first edition old rules in mind?! In 2019?! XD

However, my first thought was like yours too and I went to look at first edition book

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.