DAK sprue comment

Home Forums Historical Bolt Action DAK sprue comment

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Ghettotech
    Participant

I was expecting some short trousers or rolled up jackets with the new mini´s…
    when I take the “arms(rolled up jacket)” from the Panzergrenadier sprue it looks more “africa”…?

Also no single Mp40 or MG34 modell in there.
    How can I equip my binocular-using NCO with a SMG?

just my opinion. What do you think?

Stuart Harrison
    Participant

One reason I prefer the separate weapons over the arms and weapon fixed combinations – much more versatile posing/weapon combinations possible without major “plastic surgery” required.

Kar98k
    Participant

It was best when they gave you a combination of separate weapons with empty hands/arms as well as some hands/arms with weapons included. They have done that with some of the plastic boxed sets, but lately they have stopped doing this! The latest US Infantry release and the newer Africa releases are bad examples of what to do. For example, with the new US infantry set (Code:402013012), you get this arm with a shotgun (part 33). What a waist! Why not have that same arm, but with an empty hand, and include a separate shotgun, M1 Rifle, and M1 Carbine and let the modeller/gamer decide! I liked it when they gave you a mix of both.**

The one aspect my gaming club hates about the new Africa British is that all the rifles (SMLE Mk.III/No.1 Mk.III) have fixed bayonets. We wish you have a choice (fixed / not fixed), or not fixed at all! It is impossible to cut off the bayonet and keep its great looking nose cap. Also, running around with fixed bayonets was less common than the propaganda photos lead you to believe.

**If you plan to start a US Army collection, I highly recommend that you get one pack of the old and one pack of the new US Infantry plastic sets. You can mix and match arms/weapons.

Dr Dave
    Participant

“The one aspect my gaming club hates about the new Africa British is that all the rifles (SMLE Mk.III/No.1 Mk.III) have fixed bayonets… running around with fixed bayonets was less common than the propaganda photos lead you to believe.”

I hate to be a wet blanket, but I’m afraid having bayonets fixed in the British Infantry was routine. I’ve been fortunate enough to chat about this with two veterans and they assured me that they (their entire formation) would fix bayonets. One looked at me a little confused and wondered why you’d ever take it off! If you read “Quartered safe out here” G Fraser says that before any “shows” they’d fix bayonets. It lets the men know this is serious business, and it lets the enemy know he’s about to get it. The order “fix bayonets if you fancy it” did not exist. Personally, I hate British infantry without bayonets fixed. There are hundreds of pictures of British infantry in battle with bayonets fixed.

Troy Hill
    Participant

There is another side to the question of Arms and Weapons:
    New Players and the frustration of trying to glue on all of those arms, and weapons.

I had 50 dudes in my US Starter box.

That was 100 annoying plastic arms, and 50 separate weapons to try to line up, glue on, cuss a bit, straighten arm #1, cuss a bit more, line up the weapon again, cuss a lot more! and reposition arm #1 (and sometimes arm 2 again)…

In all, assembling that box-set took three months. I really didn’t want to look at another individual arm again.

Painting was fairly easy compared to all of the cussing… I mean assembly …of those #$#%@*$%^#$%@*$%@#$%@$% arms and weapons.

Perhaps an add-on sprue set with individual arms and weapons in the annual sprue sale would be a good compromise between the newcomers to the game you don’t want to drive away, and the established vets who are down with all of those arms.

I still have nightmares about those 100 arms and 50 separate weapons – ugh!)

Jim Ripley
    Participant

Not a fan of all Enfields having fixed bayonets . Would have been much better IMO to have half and half like Japanese box set . While having arms and weapons together makes it easier to put the troops together , I still like separate arms so I can create my own action figures . Its too bad the earlier Brit plastics are a little less heroic than the new guys ,I think trying to use those arms will look weird .

Dr Dave
    Participant

But having 1/2 a platoon of British infantry with bayonets fixed and 1/2 not fixed isn’t authentic at all. The order was (and still is!) “Fix…. Bayonets!” It’s never: “If you’d like you can fix your bayonets… no pressure”.

Jim Ripley
    Participant

Very true , Dr Dave . But with 30 troops ( or more ) its nice to have variety in your sections / platoons when scattered about the gaming table

Dr Dave
    Participant

I much prefer to have them all bayonets fixed. As Pte Tipping (ex 1Worcs) said to me “why would you take the bayonet off” (in battle).

Charge The Guns
    Participant

As someone who loves to tinker I think a few extra arms and weapons would come in handy.

On the bayonet question, I’m firmly with Dr. Dave. I’m quite flabbergasted that anyone would consider modelling British infantry without the bayonet. In fact I’m a tad disappointed that the Bren and Webley don’t have bayonets fixed as well!

invisible officer
    Participant

I go for the cold steal. It was Standard to fix it. It had the extra effect of adding weight to the muzzle area, keeping the rifle more steady in firing.

The effect was not so small as statistics seem to prove. Simple reason, the statistics got made about wounded. Few bayonet victims made it into hospital, compared to ball and splinter. In the heat of fight the spiked man got a hit on head with the butt or another thrust.

I like the Webley with bayonet.

Charge The Guns
    Participant

Ah, something like this perhaps?

invisible officer
    Participant

Yes. Original bayonets for the Webley get stupid prices. The last Pritchard Greener ones I saw at auctions went for 1000 – 3000 Euro. Depending on Version and trust in being original. Even known copies sell at more than 100.

Dr Dave
    Participant

I have been assured that currently a review is being conducted to ensure that all british small arms – even the sniper rifle – can take a bayonet.

There are online sources and original training pamphlets and manuals that reveal just how indoctrinated the British Infantry were in the use of the bayonet. It was, and is, the final arbiter of who takes or holds the ground. The curiosity is that besides the British (and Commonwealth) armies and a few individual units, few others placed such emphasis on the bayonet. Just try to find pictures of German infantry with the bayonet fixed – they are few and far between – because the German section revolved around their MG.

Just do a bit of reading about British section and platoon tactics and the frankly dreadful “Blood and Hate” training that was used. Now go and “Fix… Bayonets!”

Tbh I only buy British figures with Bayonets fixed. If they don’t have them I make some and glue them on.

Ghettotech
    Participant

I would reduce the ammount of “heads” by 3(sunhats) and put more weapon/arms options in.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.