Crowded House – Number of Units in Buildings.

Home Forums Historical Bolt Action Crowded House – Number of Units in Buildings.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Kar98k
    Participant

I keep hearing that you can only have one friendly unit per floor per building. Or one friendly unit per section of a larger building.

Where in the rules does it actually say you can only have one unit per floor? The best I can find is on page 121 where it says, “For the sake of simplicity, we’ll assume that most buildings are large enough for a single unit to occupy each floor. This would be about correct for a house, small office building, or similar structure.” But this just gives us a rough idea of how many figures can occupy a building, which is about fifteen figures because the largest infantry unit in the game is fifteen.

Nat
    Participant

I’ll counter that with where does it say you can have more than 1 unit per floor?

Its a permissive rule set, that states you need to have a 1″ gap between friendly units… bering in mind that page 115 allows transports to have more than 1 unit embarked and so gives us a pass on the 1″ gap rule.

So the rules say you need to have a gap between units, and that each floor or section of larger buildings are the same as being 1″ apart.

However – the buildings section is intentionally vague so you can mix it to your terrain.  So if you want to give each floor a capacity and allow multiple units to ’embark’ that floor up to the capacity then go for.

Haskeer
    Participant

I asked about building occupancy a while back, and someone pointed out the strange situation of having a two story building with a one man team on each floor – the guy on the top floor can’t squeeze past the guy on the ground floor to exit the building!

We now play a man-limit per floor, not unit limit. You can play around with that limit in so much as saying a piece of equipment such as a MMG counts as a man, or the 1″ gap counts as two men, etc..

Greg S
    Participant

A figure limit is much more sensible idea.  I have a model of the House on Dead Man’s Corner.  It would easily hold 30 figures on the ground floor.

Can an enemy unit and a friendly unit occupy the same floor?  If so, when they act are they restricted to specific actions?

What happens when an enemy unit assaults one unit in the building?  Does the second unit stand and watch?

Stuart Harrison
    Participant

“For the sake of simplicity, we’ll assume that most buildings are large enough for a single unit to occupy each floor. ”

In fairness to Warlord, it does say “a single unit”, not “at least a single unit” (or words to that effect) or followed by a maximum capacity in units or figures.

As soon as you start allowing multiple units per floor/section you take it on yourself to resolve all the issues that creates, particularly with assaults.

Nat
    Participant

Well for house rules I’d say the following could happen:

Each model counts as 2 for the purpose of ’embarking’ in to a building.  (this then builds in the 1″ gap)

Only 1 unit may man a wall at a time (making it easier to keep track of)

Only units that are manning a wall can be targeted by an assault against that side of the building (no multiple assaults possible then)

Small arms can only target a unit manning the wall closest to firing unit. (again easier to work out)

HE hits must be allocated to the target unit (keeping it simple… no well that unit has more men so should take more hits…)

Units may cover more than one floor – however suffer an additional PIN per extra floor they are on when hit ie a 10 man unit spread over two floors will take an extra pin if hit by small arms fire (a negative in the extra PIN to balance the flexablity of spreading out)

Kar98k
    Participant

It would seem that the Bolt Action community is all over the tabletop on this one.

As long as opposing players agree on something, it will work.

I’m curious how those that host official games and even how the designer play this aspect of the rules.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.