Tank and turret pivots

Home Forums Historical Bolt Action Tank and turret pivots

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    greg
    Participant
    1. Got into a minor disagreement at our last game, is a tank pivoting in place considered moving? And if it just pivots its turret is that considered moving? (think I already know the answer to the second but wanted something definitive to show them)
    LordRao
    Participant

A tank pivoting its chassis is a turn, and can only be performed with a move.

Turning the turret is not considered moving, so can be done with a Fire order. I wouldn’t allow it with an Ambush order, but that’s RAI.

Steeljackal
    Participant

Answer in rulebook and confirmed by FAQ. Turret weapons arc of fire is 360°

Rule book 2nd edition:
    “…Turret-mounted weapons. Weapons mounted on turrets can usually fire all around (i.e. into any arc)…”

FAQ:
    “…Can a turreted vehicle in Ambush react to a movement outside the arc of fire of its weapons? Can the turret turn to react to the Ambush trigger?…
    … If the move crosses any arc of fire and sight, including the 360° of the turret, you can trigger the Ambush. When you trigger the Ambush and turn the order dice from Ambush to Fire, all of the vehicle’s weapons that can draw LOS to the moving unit that triggered the Ambush can fire, including the turret (as long as it’s not jammed)…

Nat
    Participant

As said above turrets normally have a 360deg arc unless jammed (damage table result) which locks the turret into a 90deg arc

i say normally because some turrets have limited arcs such as the soviet t28 & t35 tanks which have turrets limited to 2 arcs (so 180)…

• This reply was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by Nat.
    Jaesen
    Participant

The follows above are correct if you’re talking about ambushing.  The tank would not be allowed to pivot its hull/chassis to bring its hull- or casemount-mounted weapon to bear on an ambush, but a turret would be able to turn.

If you’re talking about moving for purpose of making indirect fire ranging reset, I’d say that a hull/chassis pivot in place would not count, nor would simply turning a turret.  The key term being “in place”.

Kar98k
    Participant

“…is a tank pivoting in place considered moving?”

Yes, because it requires an Advance order. Note that some gaming clubs and groups do not allow some vehicles like half-tracks, armored cars, jeeps, and trucks to pivot in place. This of course makes complete sense even though it is not in the rules.

“And if it just pivots its turret is that considered moving?”

No, because turret weapons have a 360° arc of fire. You only need a Fire order. “Weapons mounted on turrets can usually fire all around (i.e. into any arc). Some turret-mounted weapons have restricted arcs because of the design or position of the turret, and these cases are indicated in the description for the vehicle. (BA2 book)

Steeljackal
    Participant

If you’re talking about moving for purpose of making indirect fire ranging reset, I’d say that a hull/chassis pivot in place would not count, nor would simply turning a turret.  The key term being “in place”.

I just add how the movement must be done to reset the indirect shot adjustment. From rulenook “…to count as ‘moved’, the entire unit must be at least 2” away from the area that it was covering before…”, see pic attached.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by Steeljackal.
    Attachments:
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.