National and Special Weapon

Home Forums Historical Bolt Action National and Special Weapon

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Steiner
    Participant

Dear comrades,

I have a couple of questions regarding the different national weapons.

1. The Americans have two rifles in the minis. Are they used the same way in the game? I mean the Enfield? and the M1 Garand. The Garand has only one shot being a semi-automatic rifle? Wasn’t it faster that the bolt action rifle?

Sorry, but I am a bit confused … The BAR is clear but the other two not.

2. The Molotov Cocktail. Shouldn’t it have a spacial rule of its own.

3. Didn’t the German have a heavy machine gun for the infantry? The MG42 was light in a squad and medium in a tripod. No heavy in the game such as the American .50?

Thanks to all 😉

• This topic was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by Steiner.
    Nat
    Participant

1. In this game all rifles are rifles be they semi-automatic or bolt action.  The Russians also have a semi-automatic rifle on their sprue.
    However most US units are all counted as having the M1 Grande  which is why their national rule is to ignore the -1 for moving and shooting.  IIRC in the errata a couple of units are stated as having the springfield bolt action rifle and lose the -1 for moving and shooting  nope i dont recall correctly :p

2.Not really…chances of any AT grenade killing a true tank arent that high so having a worse one makes no sense… this one gets marked down as its a game simplification.

3.HMGs in this game is as much to do with the calibre of the round as the rate of fire… the MG42 dispite its high rate of fire was still using rifle rounds… but its high rate of fire is what gives the Germans their +1 shot on LMGs & MMGs

• This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by Nat.
    Steeljackal
    Participant

1. As Nat has already written, in the game an approximation is made, all the guns have the same characteristics.
    Only for the Americans there is the special rule of firing in motion without penalty, because compared to other armies the basic service rifle was semi-automatic Garand M1 and not a bolt-action rifle (other armies also had or developed semi-automatic rifles, but they were not the main and most used rifle), but also because it was part of the American doctrine to shoot in motion (in particular this tactic was prominently advocated and utilized by General Patton)

2. Again in game there is a approximation for use of grenade, AT grenade, Molotv. There isn’t specific rules, but it is only taking in account in closequarter combat. In closequarte vs infantry there isn’t difference between different grenade types. There is difference when assault vehicles with “tank hunters” special rule unit (a unit with AT grenade, molotov,…). You can use some models with molotov to identify these units.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by Steeljackal.
    Steiner
    Participant

Moving and shooting without a penalty is a VERY BIG advantage in the game. In the case of the M1 Garand, it is a good measure. In other cases, if it was the American doctrine, fine then.

I really like that every nation has some special rules, because it gives move historical authenticity to the game. As far as it does not unbalance the game too much. Who would like to play with  fraction that will always lose?

In regard to the granades, molotov cocktails, etc, I am no so sure that I like the rules only for close combat.

For example, a pistol can reach 6”, how many yards is that? How far can you throw a hand granade?

• This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by Steiner.
    • This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by Steiner.
    Nat
    Participant

Grenades either slow the game down for little benefit, ie the use of 1 per unit… hits 1-2 people with a normal hit or you end up with rules saying you can use X grenades here but only if Y can happen.
    OR they are totally overpowered … a unit of 12 guys throwing grenades against a unit of 8 vets… each vet getting hit 2-3 times..

THey are a ranged weapon in firefight (the skirmish version of BA), but as an abstract platoon gameI think grenades are done right.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.