Soviet list – Infantry

Home Forums Historical Bolt Action Soviet list – Infantry

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    arcole
    Participant

Never played with Soviets before, but decided to give it a bash.

Initially I am going infantry, and have come up with the following list (1944).
    Senior LT with rifleman
    Forward artillery observer with rifleman
    Guards Rifle section – 11 men with one LMG and Panzerfaust
    Guards Rifle section – 11 men with one LMG and Panzerfaust
    Guards Rifle section – 11 men with 9 with SMG, one rifle and one LMG and Panzerfaust
    Free section – 12 green rifles with A/T grenades
    MMG
    Sniper team
    ATR team
    Tank hunter team – 3 veterans with SMGs and and Panzerfaust
    Tank hunter team – 4 veterans with SMGs and and Panzerfaust
    Zis-3
    That comes to 999 points, with 12 dice.

Any comments gratefully received.

If I later on wanted to introduce a tank, what should I drop?

Thanks in advance

A.

Eric T Holmes
    Participant

Hello A!

To answer your question first, take out your ATR and Zis-3, add in an SU-76I (Enclosed, not Open Topped.) Divide up your Guard Infantry into LMG teams, give them SMGs, anti-tank grenades, and use them like the Anti-Tank teams.

I developed an all infantry Anti-tank Platoon for one of our local events. With no vehicles, I was able to take 50% of my practice games with my friends and 1 out of 3 tournament rounds. There is a lot of “metagaming” during tournaments, stacking the deck and all, but I think I did pretty good knowing that 1) I threw in the towel during my first session since I never played in a tournament before. 2) My second session was against Veteran Commonwealth troops and a very experienced player. And 3) My third session was against an Afrika Corps Veteran/Regular mix and another experienced tournament player, which I took. I accomplished what I set out to do, play 1000pts (actually 997pts with 11 Order Dice) of infantry only. Here’s the list:

All infantry armed with SMG except Free Rifle Squad.
    All Regular except for Free Rifle Squad (Inexperienced), Assault Engineers Squad (Veteran), and Anti-Tank Rifle Team (Veteran).

Senior Lieutenant +2
    Captain +2
    Forward Artillery Observer +2
    Guards Half-squad (6) 2 LMG, 4 SMG, 1 Panzerfaust, Tank hunters 129pts
    Guards Half-squad (6) 2 LMG, 4 SMG, 1 Panzerfaust, Tank hunters 129pts
    Assault Engineers squad (9) 1 LMG, 1 Flamethrower 7 SMG, Tank hunters 170pts
    Free Rifle squad plus Banner (12) 25pts
    Medium Machine Gun team 50pts
    Medium Mortar team plus Spotter 60pts
    Sniper team 50pts
    Anti-tank rifle team 39pts

I was not able to use the Sniper Team effectively, but was able to tie down an enemy squad to go on a “Snipe Hunt.”

My Artillery Barrage and Mortar teams were my most effective weapons. Lucky rolls of “6” are always welcome.

My Anti-Tank Rifle took out one soft skin, but not before it disgorged its squad.

Assault Engineers did not effectively use the flamethrower. Bad dice rolls. But, the free Rifle Squad survived an assault, which was surprising.

When I received the first Order Die after setup, I used my Captain to active three units, which included my Senior LT, Artillery FO, and my mortar team. The Senior LT would active two more units.

If set on requires an advance onto the table, I usually left the officers for last.

I especially like blind set-on, where players are screened from seeing the opponents set-on. It’s a little more realistic and we usually set on at 18 inches, getting into play right at the get go.

YMMV

and as always,

Roll Sixes!

Eric

• This reply was modified 4 years, 2 months ago by Eric T Holmes. Reason: mispelled word
    Eric T Holmes
    Participant

One last comment…All my troops are Soviet Women

Nat
    Participant

I feel that if you are taking SMGs in a guard squad dont bother with an LMG as they have different roles..

I like 1 or 2 units of fire support Guard ie 11 men, 2 LMGs and a panzerfaust (for backfield protection).

So after moving the LMG from the SMG guard to a rifle guard I’d then move 2 SMGs from one of the tank hunter squads and drop it down to just 2 strong… be amazed at how anoying a 2 strong TankHunter team is

edit – that gives you 15 points to up the sniper to a vet team.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 2 months ago by Nat.
    arcole
    Participant

Thanks for the response. Time for me to consider options!

HellRaiser 7
    Participant

I would take out the Forward Observer. They are very hit and miss and they cost as much as squad. Drop one anti-tank team, make the one Guard squad down to about 8 with SMG, that’s a lot of firepower and now their tough fighters, and get rid of the LMG cause they are you close fighting/assault squad. Then get a T-34/76 tank (Regular) .  Good all around medium tank. If you go to a 1250 list down the road then upgrade it to a T34/85. Hope that helps.

arcole
    Participant

Thanks for the comments H. Just started painting them now!

Regards

A.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.