Metal figures on 25mm lipped plastic bases

Home Forums Historical Bolt Action Metal figures on 25mm lipped plastic bases

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Nigel Heather
    Participant

Just wondering what you do to disguise the metal base of metal figures.  On bigger bases a gradual slope of filler will hide the metal base but on 25mm bases the metal bases come very close to the edge of the plastic base.

Just interested what you do to hide them.

On a related subject, the metal bases on some figures are like two bases stuck on top of each other, have you seen this and what do you do with them.

Cheers,

Nigel

Nat
    Participant

Personally I stick the metal model to the bottom of the base then fill it up with a putty to levelish of the metal base.

Other approaches are to cut the metal base off and then pin the model to the base, or trim the metal down

Nigel Heather
    Participant

Yes the putty idea is what I was referring to as filler.

I can see how that would work brilliantly for figures 60mm base with a support weapon because the rise of the putty from plastic edge to metal base is quite shallow whereas on a 25mm bases the metal base is almost as wide as the as the 25mm base so the slope of the putty would be pretty steep.

Greg S
    Participant

I milliput around the metal base, smoothing down to the edges of the mdf.  By the time you’e added sand, grass, snow or small bushes, it is hardly noticeable.

Haskeer
    Participant

Before I base any figures I score a cross hatch pattern on the base to give any glue something to bind with. Glue my mini to the base, PVA base up to minis metal base and dip in sand/grit. Once painted, and grass/tufts added they look pretty good.

Kar98k
    Participant

“Just wondering what you do to disguise the metal base of metal figures.”

First it depends on the base of the metal figure. If its big, I tend to trim them down a bit using cutters. After that, I scratching up the base and bottom of the figure. I then use CA to glue the figures to the plastic bases. When the glue is set I use milliput to fill in things and make it look as if its all ground. Sometimes you get a slight taper if you have a thick metal base, but these can be ground down a bit if needed.

Next, I primer and paint the figure then flock the base.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.