M24 Chaffee versus M4 Sherman 75mm

Home Forums Historical Bolt Action M24 Chaffee versus M4 Sherman 75mm

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Aidan
    Participant

I was thinking of 3d printing a tank for my US army that I will be getting soon, and am debating between the two.

(Regular) The Chaffee is 35 points cheaper with the same armament and does not have the “easily catches fire” rule, but only has 8+ armor compared to the Sherman’s 9+ armor. They both have the “weak sides rule”. The Chaffee can be upgraded to recce for +10 points.

For context, I will be fielding a very infantry heavy veteran force that focuses on mobility and tactics. Lots of rifles and BARs, with some MG and sniper support. So I was leaning towards the Chaffee for its recce rule and cheaper cost. It would also be cheaper to fit a Veteran Chaffee with the gyro gun into the force than a Sherman. Although the Sherman still has more armor.

Thoughts?

SteveT
    Participant

If you are going to be facing historically accurate opponents, then as someone who plays a lot of  German vs US, I would say the German tanks/AT guns won’t care much either way that you have 8 or 9 armour. I know the Chaffe would be more annoying for me to face. Tanks only gets a few good shots per game and you can deny them their best opportunity by using Recce to scoot off at critical moments.  The option for a pintle HMG is good,  classified as “Heavy Weapons” in BA, so it can put pressure on armoured targets or punish veteran infantry targets.

Aidan
    Participant

Ah I see, thank you very much. I was leaning towards the Chaffee because it looked fun and had recce, and I wanted something unique that doesn’t appear on a US list much. And yeah lol, a Panther’s gun or a Flak 36 won’t care about the armor either way….

Aidan
    Participant

And it’s less of a points sink.

L.T. Russell
    Participant

Our gaming group’s Rules Lawyer is in love with Chaffees, specifically for the recce ability.  You could definitely do worse….

Aidan
    Participant

Thanks, I’ll definitely add the Chaffee to my 1000 point list, or even my 750 point list. 🙂

You have a rules lawyer? What does he do?

L.T. Russell
    Participant

Our group’s Rules Lawyer IS an actual lawyer.  He quibbles about the rules a LOT….

Aidan
    Participant

Ah, I see lol.

I pictured something like him putting one guy in the group on trial for using DAK schtutzen squads with free LMGs in a European battle or something like that….

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.