LeFH 18 ‘accessory’ question

Home Forums Historical Bolt Action LeFH 18 ‘accessory’ question

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Greg S
    Participant

I am painting my German LeFH 18 medium artillery and there are several crates and extras that go with it.  And there is one little pit that is baffling me, so I’m hoping someone could identify it.

It is a small pile of long cylinders, with cross hatchings on them.  There are what appear to be discarded shell casings among them.

Jacob Carter
    Participant

Pretty sure those are wicker transport cases for artillery shells.

Greg S
    Participant

That’s not something I have seen before.  Thanks.

Crazynoob198
    Participant

That’s cool. Never really thought about what they would be made out of. I don’t know the model, but it looks like a winter time period. Maybe wicker was used to help prevent hands from sticking to metal shell canisters? Just a thought.

Robert
    Participant

The use of wicker shell carriers was widespread and dated back to before the First World War. Here is a WW1 example:

Robert

Robert
    Participant

And a German heavy Minenwerfer from WW1:

Robert

Robert
    Participant

German WW1 field artillery shell wicker carrier:

Robert

invisible officer
    Participant

The wicker had some andvantages. It was light and elastic. So a dropped cannister was not breaking like thin wood. (Massive Wood was heavy)  For Germany in wartime it was also an advantage to save rare materials, even seasoned Wood was becoming scarce.

German 10,5 cm amo consisted of the case with base propellant, a number of bags with extra  loads, the seperate shell and the fuze.

There had been many different shells, like HE /Sprenggranate, Smoke / Nebel , AT / Panzergranate and more.

The pic of my 10,5 cm guns Show the  different Containers.

AT and AA guns used “Patronenmunition” with Shell and case together. They got metal Containers.

Attachments:
    invisible officer
    Participant

And another angle.  The boxes are for fuzes and charges, see the different size of stuff inside. Both protected by containers, normally made from cardboard (Waxed for water protection)  and put in a wooden box. .

Loading prodedure was (Simplified) : Gun commander got the range from battery staff and ordered the number of charges for the case depending on range . The shell was chosen and the fuze inserted. With a key the fuze was set. Then the Shell/fuze combination was loaded and next the case. Closing the breech – BANG

4 – 6 rounds / minute

Attachments:
    Greg S
    Participant

Thanks guys.  I had had identified the rest of the boxes and crates from Google, but had never come across wicker shell carriers.  And I don’t think I’ve seen one in a museum.

And thanks Invisible Officer for being as informative as usual.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.