HE Against Armor

Home Forums Historical Bolt Action HE Against Armor

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Tim Moreau
    Participant

Hi all,

Recently I’ve seen a few battle reports where people are using HE against armor for stacking pins on targets which seems awesome, and I’d like to try… I’m trying to figure out, though, how that would work in a turn- I looked it up in the manual and it seemed a little confusing the way it is explained, or perhaps my comprehension is just dull.

It seems to me when firing against armor with HE, if you roll to hit, and do hit, as long as the pen value of the HE shell can POTENTIALLY do damage, then you roll to see the pin count for the given HE shell? Or do you just roll a d6, add the pen modifier, and if it is greater then the armor your firing at the pins are caused? Thanks for any help!

Jacob Carter
    Participant

Once a hit is rolled with HE; if the hit could possibly cause surface damage you would then roll for pins; if it cannot damage the tank no matter what you roll then the pins are ignored.  You’d determine that depending on what arc is targeted.

However; keep in mind that only veterans always ignore pins from attacks that can’t possibly damage the tank, regulars ignore based on a 50/50 dice roll, and inexperienced always receive pins from heavy weapons.

Nat
    Participant

To put what Jacob said above in to examples…

You have a small 2″ HE template (+2 PEN) shooting at a light tank (DV8)…

you roll to hit, then because the max damage/wound roll could hurt the tank you roll to see how many pins (D3) you cause.

Now if the same small HE was shooting a medium tank (DV 9) if /when you hit you need to check the crew level – if inexp go straight to seeing how many PINs are caused.  If regular roll a D6 and on a 1-3 they take the PINs on a 4+ /if the crew are Veterans then no PINs are added as the max D6 +2 cant equal the DV of the medium tank.

However now our 2″ template is a mortar so hits the top of the tank the damage roll is now D6 +2 +1 and so giving us a possible max score of 9 so the Veteran crews would take the PINs as well.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by Nat.
    Tim Moreau
    Participant

Thanks guys – this totally clears everything up. I appreciate your time!

Steeljackal
    Participant

Summing up schematically

1) Fully enclosed tank hit by heavy weapon (heavy weapon has penetration value >= +1) that can’t damage it (a roll to damage of 6 + pen value < tank armour value)

2) vehicle is:
    Inexperinced then take pins (example, HE2” D3 pins)
    Regular then roll a dice and on a 4+ ignore pins (50% ignore pins)
    Veteran then ignore pins

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.