Are there any non-open top 7+/8+ vehicle with a Medium Howitzer besides BT-42?

Home Forums Historical Bolt Action Are there any non-open top 7+/8+ vehicle with a Medium Howitzer besides BT-42?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Nanashi
    Participant

Does any faction besides Finland have such a vehicle? Doing it through a versatile/dual purpose AT gun is fine.

Stuart Harrison
    Participant

None that come to mind – they’re generally either heavier armoured to carry out the assault gun/close support roles(Stuh42, Sherman 105, etc), or they’re open topped to allow the crew to better serve the gun in the mobile field artillery role (Priest, Wespe, etc).

Kar98k
    Participant

Yes.

The M3 105mm HMC has a medium howitzer and damage value of 7+

See details on page 45 of the Armies of the US.

Stuart Harrison
    Participant

@Kar98 – the question is specifically asking for non open-topped, that one’s open-topped.

Nat
    Participant

With a medium howitzer… not that I can think of…. closest I can think of is

SU76i – soviet book pg 51, DV 8+, light howitzer / med AT

Kar98k
    Participant

@Stuart – Yep, missed that.

Then I agree with Nat. The Su76i would be the closest that I can think of too.

Side note: I recall reading that the original plan for the SU-76 was supposed to have a fully enclosed fighting compartment, but this was changed to an open top. Yes, the open top was vulnerable to small arms fire and hand grenades, but it sometimes saved the crew’s lives when hit by a Panzerfaust or Panzerschreck – the blast and concussion from a hit usually meant death in a fully enclosed vehicle.

GeneralJimbo81
    Participant

Not that there are any official rules for it but there was 1920’s British Birch Gun. The Mk III (only 2 or 3 ever built) had a fully enclosed encasement / turret. Pretty sure it mounted a Light Howitzer (18lb Gun) though.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.