Any help with assembling Soviet Infantry avilable ?

Home Forums Historical Bolt Action Any help with assembling Soviet Infantry avilable ?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Ken
    Participant

I have previously built Japanese and USMC armies.  With no one in the group having Soviets I decided to build a Soviet Army.

The Marines and Japs were pretty easy to get together, many of the figures I used arms with weapons attached, only had problems with the LMG and BAR figures.

With the Soviets you have to attach each arm and the weapon separately and I’m having a difficult time figuring out which arms go with which figures and weapons.

The sheet calls them rifle arms, carry arms, ppsh41 arms but there are no ATR or LMG arms.

Very frustrating with no instructions or even suggestions on how to assemble, the weapons and tanks have instructions but no help with the infantry.

Tried duplicating the figures as shown on the box and the website, what I thought was used just doesn’t seem to work, either the weapons don’t fit or the arms don’t sit right on the body.

Tried searching the internet, lots of help on painting and videos on unboxing but nothing on how to assemble.

Got a good deal on the Starter Army but just about ready to forget the whole idea.

Nigel Heather
    Participant

The ATR rifle arms are called out – they are part number 14.

You are correct about the LMG though, from memory I used the rifle arms – but I do prefer not to use prone figures so I tend to have my LMGs being carried or being fired from the hips.  But I have done some prone LMGs.

The prone ATG arms (14) may also work for the LMG.

Cheers,

Nigel

• This reply was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by Nigel Heather.
    Jim Ripley
    Participant

As Nigel says , parts 14 are the arms for the AT rifle . The right holds the pistol style grip and the left is braced on the ground . I found all the rifle arms work with the LMG as it’s the same length as the rifles so the hands are in the right places .  Personally the Russians are my favorite plastic set as the kit bash potential is  fantastic with number of arms included in the set . Just make sure to put the quilted arms on the quilted bodies ……..

Ken
    Participant

Finishing up the last squad on my russians, primered them yesterday and will start painting today.  They were the toughest set I’ve put together thus far, fighting to get the arms and weapons to work together resulted in glue all over some figures.  Often took several tries to get things positioned to where I was happy with them.  I ended up having to clean them with Goo Gone to get rid of the excess glue and then dishwasher soap and water to get rid of that before painting them.   Still not happy with the fit of weapons and shoulder position on many of the figures but at least I’m just about done.

mr carl woodthorpe
    Participant

I tried and gave up with this set. I ended up binning them!

I have spinal damage with now sadly shaky hands. It’s put me off buying anymore warlord stuff due to the frankly silly amount of tiny parts-is there REALLY a need to make everything so “bitty?”

Jim Ripley
    Participant

Sorry to hear you both had problems building  figures .  I think I’ve built 3 boxes worth and I love them . Here’s some I kit bashed as tank riders on 3 T-34/85s . On the other hand I have a real hard time painting one piece metal figures , god I hate them . Love the sculpts but hate the painting .  And it is getting harder for me to see  the fiddley bits too when assembling kits , but  I’ve found a magnifying visor helps .

• This reply was modified 2 years ago by Jim Ripley.
    Kar98k
    Participant

Sorry to hear this.

I too also have assembled about two to three boxes of these figures. I too also really like them. I really like that the weapons on the older sets are separate because you can get a vast variety of options and poses. The downside is that it takes a bit more modelling skill and a bit more time to assemble these older sets.

As a side note, if you can find some of the older Wargames Factory boxed sets of Soviet Infantry, they would be even better since they come with a combination of arms with weapons attached, but also some without weapons attached for variety. Actually, I think these figures are far better, but then I’m known for liking figures that are more “real” than “fantasy”.

Kar98k
    Participant

Jim, your tank riders look great.

I like how you have a few of them holding on – particularly the two figs on the middle tank with their hands on the turret.

Are these figures glued onto the tank, or can they be removed (dismounted)?

Jim Ripley
    Participant

I’ve tried to have them as separate groups of 3 or 4 but they just didn’t sit well on the tank so I finally broke down and glued them on . It did involve a few leg swaps to make them fit as  IRC I  mostly used only 4 body types from the sprue .  I  wanted to put as many troops as I could on the tank engine deck   , but 9 was the best I could manage .  Upon reflection it was too crowded so I cut back to about half a dozen on the other 2 tanks  , with a couple of loose seated figures to ride up front . I’ve also got some seated figures on stacks of ammo boxes which can be added to my other T 34 s  if I want them to carry troops . And I’ve got a couple in an action kind of pose as if they just jumped off the tank . Still not too sure about how they look thought . And while I love the way the T 34 looks with the fuel drums , un ditching logs and ammo boxes  carried on the sides , the figures would fit so much better if those pieces weren’t there .   Although I haven’t got round to making German tank riders , I did convert some the early German figures ( love the figures / hate weapons sprue )

• This reply was modified 2 years ago by Jim Ripley.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.