With the Horns of the Buffalo, you’ll get 4 new heroes! John Stallard introduces two of these characters in swift order: Dan the Yank, and Padre Smith VC
“Ammunition smith ” as he was consequently called, was busy all through the battle distributing packets of rounds contained in his hat whilst chiding his men not to swear so much.
He was accompanied by a native servant who it seems stuck by him loyally when all the other native troops bar one who was immobile, had not surprisingly legged it. We don’t know the lad’s name sadly, but in true Warlord fashion, we have him ready to defend his boss with a typical knobkerry that all lads of the nation would carry.
Dan the Yank
Our final hero is a man that rarely gets a mention but most surely be seen as a most brave and game fellow at this epic fight, at least on the Colonial side!
This man is “Dan the Yank”, an American civilian called Mr Daniels who’s trade was directing the ponts over the drift. When the British army rocked up he carried on with his trade no doubt benefiting from an immense surge in trade…
On the shocking news that the main camp at Izwandana was overrun and 4000 maddened Zulus were heading his way, he asked the officers if he and a few riflemen could simply moor the ponts in the main drift and hence preserve them from the enemy! This was insane enough but more was to come…
The average Tommy Atkins at Rorke’s drift was 5 foot five, that’s a working class a Victorian diet for you… Dan The Yank, dissapointed that he could not fortify his ponts asked for a rifle. The redcoats teased him mercilessly that he was far too small to be a soldier… He was by all accounts a tiny man if men who are just five foot five teasing him!!
Undaunted he persevered and persuaded Chard and Bromhead to borrow Major Spalding’s sword which he had left when popped back to Helpmakar. We don’t know if it had a scabbard and belt, but we do know two things. Firstly, he whirled it around his head in an intimidating manner when interrogating a Zulu local for information. Secondly, that early in the action he hid behind the biscuit boxes and mealie bags, waited for a Zulu warrior to pop his head over the top then walloped him dead with a crushing blow… The Redcoats cheered and shouted, “well done Dan the Yank, you will make a soldier yet!”.
Sadly all my research has not unearthed a photograph of this splendid fellow, so here is our best guess of Mr Daniels, the sword fighting nutter of Rorkes Drift!!
Horns of the Buffalo: Rorke’s Drift Collector’s Edition
The ultimate Rorke’s Drift wargames experience is the Horns of the Buffalo collector’s edition. When you pry open this fantastic box you’ll find that in addition to the contents of the Rorke’s Drift! battle box you’ll get stacks more goodies such as cattle, a cookhouse, tents, mealy bag redoubt, and loads loads more!
Horns of the Buffalo is only available directly from us here at Warlord Games and contains:
- Historical British Victoria Cross winners: Lieutenant Chard (Royal Engineers), Lieutenant Bromhead (24th Foot), Colour Sergeant Bourne (24th Foot) and Private Henry Hook (24th Foot).
- Metal mounted Zulu InDuna
- Metal Zulu Witch Doctor
- Metal British and Zulu casualties
- Laser-cut wooden Hospital building with ‘teddy bear fur’ thatch.
- Laser-cut wooden Storehouse building with ‘teddy bear fur’ thatch.
- Resin Wagon Barricade
- Resin stone wall Kraal (4 x 6″ sections)
- Resin biscuit box barricades (2 x 6″ sections)
- Resin biscuit box/mealie-bag barricades (3 x 6″ sections)
- Resin mealie-bag barricades (3 x 6″ sections)
- 20 plastic multi-pose British Line Infantry
- 40 plastic multi-pose Married Zulus.
On top of all that you’ll also get:
- 5 extra resin mealie-bag barricades
- 1 extra resin biscuit box barricade
- 4 extra biscuit box/mealie-bag barricades
- 1 extra resin wagon barricade
- 2 extra lengths of resin walls
- Resin, broken down walls (6 x 6″ sections)
- Resin, mealie-bag redoubt (2 x 3″ x 6″ sections making a 6″ square redoubt)
- Engineers wagon
- Water cart
- 6 plastic fences (3″ sections)
- 4 x plastic bell tents
- Resin Cookhouse
- 6 metal African cattle
- 3 x resin ovens
- Resin Water Closet
- 1 x metal dead horse
- 1 x dog (Jack the Terrier)
Plus 4 new characters and 3 new Zulu’s:
- Chaplain Smith
- Chaplain Smith’s servant
- Corporal Schiese
- “Dan the Yank”
- Surgeon Reynolds and patient
- Zulu ‘sniper’
- 2x Zulu InDunas