WW1 – action near Le Cateau (1918)

Home Forums Historical Bolt Action WW1 – action near Le Cateau (1918)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    Robert
    Participant

I enjoy using Bolt Action for WW1 games. Careful thought is needed, however, to create scenarios for this level of game, irrespective of the rule set. For this scenario, we chose a meeting encounter during late 1918. The British advance has reached the bocage-like countryside near Le Cateau. First, some photos of the force selections. The British advance guard has an Austin armoured car supporting 4 infantry squads, a Vickers MG team, a Stokes mortar team, and an 18 pounder field gun. The Germans have three squads, with an MG08 team, a Granatenwerfer team, a 77mm field gun team, a 37mm anti-tank gun, a sniper team, and a T-Gewehr anti-tank rifle team.

Robert

• This topic was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by Robert.
    invisible officer
    Participant

and a 77mm gun.  😉

Very nice force.   I love them,

I must. I have exactly the same miniatures.  And some more.  BA is good for the 1914 and 1918 mobile warfare.  Or for raids, my 42 cm Mörser makes a good objective.

Robert
    Participant

Here is an overhead shot of the battlefield. It shows a small village, largely untouched by the war so far. There is a farm complex in the bottom left quadrant and two village buildings beside the crossroads. The British forces are due to enter from the top; the Germans from the bottom of the table.

Robert

Robert
    Participant

Thanks, invisible officer. Our posts crossed. I updated the OOBs because the Germans only had three squads and had the 77mm field gun as well.

Robert

Michael Sykes
    Participant

These are all painted beautifully

Robert
    Participant

Thank you, Michael. The attached photos show the initial German deployment, with its Schwerpunkt directed on the centre-left of the table. An infantry squad is pushing forwards to occupy the building next to the crossroads. A section squad is racing to occupy the farm complex, followed by the MG08 team. In the distance, the British horse-drawn artillery is making a bold move to dominate the crossroads and the open line of sight along the route of advance of the German right flank squad.

Robert

Robert
    Participant

Another view of the build-up of British forces from the ‘southern’ long table edge. Three sections have advanced on the British left. The section nearest the crossroads is just about the enter the (Crescent Root) building. One section has reached a stone wall and the third (nearest camera) is pushing the open left flank. In the distance, the fourth section is making its way through the small field beside the road. The 18 pounder has been set up on over-watch in the field; its crew hunkered down behind the gun shield.

Robert

Robert
    Participant

The Germans continued their build-up from the ‘north’. The 77mm field gun set up an overwatch position commanding the open road and part of the crossroads. The 76mm leichte Minenwerfer and the Granatenwerfer set up in the field next to the road, with the T-Gewehr AT rifle team just ahead and off-road.

Robert

• This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by Robert.
    Robert
    Participant

An overhead shot at the end of Turn 2. German forces on the right; British on the left. One German squad is in the building top right. The other two are in the farm buildings (Total Battle Miniatures).

Robert

Robert
    Participant

My German A7V had broken down so didn’t even make it to the start line.

Robert

Attachments:
    invisible officer
    Participant

Nice Mimikri camo.

Iconic vehicle.   I was inside the Munster copy. Nothing for 1,83 m men……….

Robert
    Participant

Thank you, invisible officer. I have been to Münster but sadly not to the museum. It doesn’t look I will have the chance any time soon…

Robert

Robert
    Participant

Another view of the German support weapons deploying on or near the main road. The FO team has taken up position but lines of sight are severely constrained by the close terrain. The right flank German squad has entered the building on the right.

Robert

Robert
    Participant

And another view of the British support weapons deploying. ‘Ubique’ is the motto of the Royal Artillery Regiment; here the field gun team is living up to that motto. A Stokes mortar team has deployed on table. The Vickers MG team are approaching the nearest house, hoping to cover the open road. The German field gun will pose a stiff challenge though, along with the threat posed by the right flank German squad. The British right flank infantry section is pushing through a small field at the time this photo was taken. The weight of German forces are in the bottom left quadrant of the table; the British in the top right quadrant.

Robert

Attachments:
    Robert
    Participant

The middle German infantry squad is just about to enter the farm complex. The buildings are from Total Battle Miniatures. Very solid construction, though ventilated somewhat by various shell holes.

Robert

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.