Veteran Squad Benefit

Home Forums Historical Bolt Action Veteran Squad Benefit

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Other than defense and morale benefits, do the veteran units have any other assets ?

My question is prompted by the Inexperienced unit has a -1 to hit penalty, but there is no corresponding benefit for the veteran unit.

Stuart Harrison
    Participant

No, that’s the only benefits to being Veteran – morale 10 and damage value 5+

Jacob Carter
    Participant

There actually are some other benefits to Veterans depending on which army you’re using. Usually Veterans typically have more options in weaponry such as bringing multiple LMGs or having a full squad of assault rifles for Germans.

Tank crews also get a nice boost from being veterans where they ignore pins from heavy weapons that cannot damage their vehicle.  American veteran tank crews also have the benefit of ignoring the -1 to hit from advancing just like American infantry, depending on the tank.

Stuart Harrison
    Participant

“American veteran tank crews also have the benefit of ignoring the -1 to hit from advancing just like American infantry, depending on the tank”

Note, this only extends to the specific weapons with the gyro-stabiliser rule (usually only the main gun on the majority of US tanks – not all tanks have them and none of the tank destroyers etc have gyro-stabilisers), not to all weapons on that vehicle or to all vehicle mounted weapons fired by veteran crews.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks for the responses.  I was hoping that I had missed something, but evidently not.

I did try to work out the “value” of the To-Hit and Morale benefit or loss.  I checked on Richard Humble’s “Vehicle Design System”, but that was geared toward Vehicles only.

I found that using 17% (1/6th) for the To-Hit and the percentage on 2D6 for the Morale resulted in almost exactly the correct points.

For example:

• An Inexperienced Unit: A Regular unit is 50 pts.  Reduce by  .88 for the reduced morale and .83 for the -1 To-Hit gives 36 points.
    • A Veteran Unit:               A Regular unit is 50 pts.  Multiply by 1.08 for the increased morale and 1.17 for the +1 To-Hit gives 63 points.

It looks like the Veteran was “pointed” with the 17% extra cost but never given the actual benefit.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.