USMC weapons

Home Forums Historical Bolt Action USMC weapons

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Haskeer
    Participant

Hi all, another basic question, I’m afraid.

With the ‘fire and manoeuvre’ special rule in mind, the U.S. marine squad ( early war ) in armies of the USA shows the compulsory troops as having M1 Garands, but the extra optional troops with rifles, do these count as Garands too?
    Also, the mid/late war section has all troops with rifles. Are these also Garands?

Thanks in advance,
    John.

Stuart Harrison
    Participant

By context, they should be specified as M1 Garand as that is the only rifle listed in the weapons line.

If you look at all the entries where it mentions the M1 Carbine in the weapons line, it has “(rifles)” following it, not done for the M1 Garand (though that already has rifle in it’s name without brackets). On that basis, it could be argued that “rifles” in a US list means M1 Carbine but as they are identical in game it doesn’t make a difference which they are modelled with. What would make a difference would be if a model/unit was specifically armed with another rifle type not listed in the fire and manoeuvre rule such as the 1903 Springfield.

Errata for AoUS shows this with regard to the second part of your question:

“Page 26, US Marines Squad (Mid- /Late-War).Weapons line should be changed to: Weapons: M1 Garand rifles “

Jacob Carter
    Participant

How early war are you talking about with the Marines? Are you talking Guadalcanal and earlier or post Guadalcanal?

I ask because the Garand did not become the standard rifle of the USMC until roughly after the battle of Guadalcanal. The rifles they used were the old bolt action Springfields so if you’re building a true early war force you shouldn’t really have any Garands on the models.

As for fire and maneuve, if you’re trying to make a truly historically accurate force I don’t believe many people would penalize you by forcing you to lose one of the US’ key faction abilities. I can’t speak for everyone but I’d say in this case just consider the rifles as Garands.

Haskeer
    Participant

Thanks guys, I didn’t check the errata.
    I’ve been lumbered with building the plastic infantry for a friend who hates the modelling side of things.
    I know next to nothing about US forces and didn’t want to do him out of a national rule by building them with the wrong kit!
    Thanks again,
    John.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.