Units within 6 inches of a breaking unit

Home Forums Historical Black Powder Units within 6 inches of a breaking unit

Tagged: 

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Carraz
    Participant

Hi

If a unit breaks after failing a break test, do other units within 6 inches of the breaking unit have to take a break test also ????

I think I read that they do but I cannot find where I read it…..silly I know….

Can u please answer

Thanks

Nat
    Participant

Supporting units – pg 70, units within 6″ may support a unit in combat

pg 77 break tests – Supporting units test if the unit that they where supporting fails its break test.

So its a conditional units within 6″ of a breaking unit need to test. – hope that helps.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 10 months ago by Nat.
    Garry Wills
    Participant

and the units test whether they actually supported the combat or not, they just have to be within the 6inches.

George
    Participant

Sorry, Garry, I have to respectfully call you on the reply above where you say a unit “supports the combat or not” within a 6″ circle.

Units that do not support a unit within 6″ do not make a break test. Only units that support a unit that breaks make the test. The rules are on page 70 for supports and page 78 for support break tests in BP2ed. This is just as Nat pointed out.

The only exceptions to that are if the unit that breaks is artillery or tiny. In that case, the support unit doesn’t have to make a break test (and again, another exception, that’s if the support unit isn’t tiny itself, in which case it would make the test.)

However, Garry, I reserve the right to be wrong, and If you can point out in the rules where I am I’ll happily take correction.

Respectfully,

George

• This reply was modified 2 years, 10 months ago by George.
    Garry Wills
    Participant

George

I like these forums because we always have the opportunity to learn about the games we love. However on page 78 at the bottom of the first paragraph it reads ‘For purposes of this test, supporting units are considered to be such if they are theoretically  able to support regardless of whether they actually contribute a support bonus or note.’ Hence my comment.

Best regards

George
    Participant

And I humbly and happily stand corrected, Garry. Thanks for pointing that out.

So, that means any unit that could lend support, wither it does or not, has to make a break test. Yes.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 10 months ago by George.
    Garry Wills
    Participant

Yes the example given following my quotation spells it out. Yesterday, I refought Venta del Pozo and the French lost a third of their force when a squadron of Gendarmes broke, quickly followed by both supports! Three scores of 4 or less in a row!

Best regards

Garry

Big Al
    Participant

Actually, George, Garry is correct. A unit that is within 6 inches of a unit that breaks from combat must take a break test, regardless of whether it was used as support or not. See page 78 of BP2 paragraph at the bottom of the first column.

arcole
    Participant

Would the list of units on page 70 apply. E.G. Artillery cannot be supported, so if they break in melee no-one else needs to take a break test. Similarly, a unit already in combat cannot provide support, so should not test for another unit nreaking in combat?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.