The circle of trust

Home Forums General Discussion The circle of trust

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    Charge The Guns
    Participant

So. we’re away from prying eyes here. We’re in a safe place. Metaphorically we’re sat in a circle, on uncomfortable plastic chairs, in a community room that smells of yesterday’s lunch. No one’s talking. Everyone is being careful to avoid eye contact.

Ok, I’ll go first. I paint with enamels. The first step is to be able to say it. I had my first experience of enamels when I was 7 or 8 (it might be even earlier but I don’t want my parents to get in trouble). I was quickly hooked. That smell. The taste of the brush. The white spirit. Intoxicating. As I got older I moved on from Airfix to Humbrol. I’d even dabbled with exotica like Revell and Tamiya. The range of colours was amazing. So beautiful to mix and blend.

Then my friends started to drift off. They had their heads turned by the new fancy acrylics. Come with us they said. It’s so much easier they said. I didn’t listen. I was in too deep. How could I afford to switch? I persisted. I was slow, but those little tins were my friends now.

Things could have gone on like this but when you have kids of you’re own you have to re-evaluate your life choices. I have a few dropper bottles of acrylics and I am learning to readjust in to regular wargaming society. But deep down I know those tins are still there. In that draw in the garage.

We can only take one day at a time.

Who is next?

Jim Ripley
    Participant

I too still have about 80 Humbrol tins in one of my drawers . Got a few left over from my foray into 1/48 scale planes back in the mid 70s , surprisingly , they are still good . Tins I bought during my model rail road days in the 90s seem to have a hardened skin on top but good paint underneath , turned into one solid lump of dried paint or separated with an oily liquid on top and a sludge on the bottom of which no amount of mixing seems to fix . And although I mostly paint with acrylics , I still use at least one Humbrol color on each kit I paint. Anyone remember when Humbrol had their Authentic Railway Enamel line ? I’ve got a small flyer that was included in a Rosebud plastic kit , was surprised to see Canadian Pacific and Canadian National colors listed ( look like 60s color scheme )

Charge The Guns
    Participant

Thanks for sharing, Jim. We’re all here for you, and no one is judging you. The Authentic ranges were special, and now super rare.

Who wants to share next?

Battle Brush Sigur
    Participant

I don’t see any problem with that. Enamels (I also started painting with those), and they have their place. Anybody should give them a try at some point, just to learn their properties. That can never be a bad thing, right?

Acrylics have their pros of course. Like when you’re really drunk you can sit down and paint a little with relatively low chances of setting yourself or your surroundings on fire. :p

Charge The Guns
    Participant

Welcome to the circle Sigur! No one here is going to say it is a “bad thing” as we’re all in the circle of trust and not judging. A bit of casual enamel use never hurt anyone, accepting incidents after heavy drinking and involving a naked flame 😀 .

invisible officer
    Participant

Enamel Colors, get the Spanish Inquisition cushions. 😉

I have enamel colors, acrylics and also use old style Artist’s oil Colors. Often on same miniature.

Charge The Guns
    Participant

Welcome to the circle IO, and no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

Oils, enamels and acrylics; you’re really putting it out there. But we won’t judge you for that 😉

Jim Ripley
    Participant

I always liked how I could weather a vehicle by using a thin wash of turps over semi dry enamel paint . Of course the number of times I used too much turps and ruined the base coat , when it worked it was fantastic , when it didn’t ….. Its nice we have these acrylic washes and inks now , although I have been known to over do those too . lol

Gareth
    Participant

I confess I often still use enamels but they are a dying breed on my paint shelf. Also still use enamel washes as well.

Charge The Guns
    Participant

You’re right Jim – we had it tough in the olden days. Now it is all fancy washes, inks, crackle paints, etc. etc.

Nice Inquisition figures!

Charge The Guns
    Participant

Welcome to the circle Gareth!

It is nobody’s business what is on your paint shelf, but you. We won’t judge you on those enamel washes 😉 .

Jim Ripley
    Participant

Not my figures I’m afraid .Just a picture saved in my ” want to buy one day ” file , hopefully when that day comes they’re still available

Charge The Guns
    Participant

Manufacturers seem to appear and disappear like mayflies these days, Jim, so I wouldn’t hold off too long. Difficult to think of a period or gamewhen you couldn’t use those; after all, no one expects …

John Mathews
    Participant

I’m John, and I lick my brushes…..

…..I paint directly from the pot too…..(breaks into uncontrollable sobs)

But I don’t listen to that Justin Bieber stuff my kids play….you have to draw a line somewhere.

Charge The Guns
    Participant

You’re amongst friends here, John. Go ahead, let it all out.

I’m sure most of us have licked our brushes. Just try and avoid doing it for the big undercoat or varnish brushes. That would be a start.

You go head and paint straight from the paint pot. No on here is going to judge you.

(Asking us to listen to Beiber could get you thrown out of the circle. Just saying. )

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.