Squares

Home Forums Historical Black Powder Squares

Tagged: 

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    SteveT
    Participant

Having trouble pinning rules about Squares. I am using BP v2 rules , not any extra stuff.

(1) Can a square move whilst remaining as a square? (I assumed not)

(2) On the reference sheet from the warlord site, it says they get 1 free move if command failed and notes “one move max”. Why does it specify “1 move max”, I thought free moves were always 1 max?

(3) if you are in a square with enemy near you,  how do you change formation as some men will be moving sideways?

Cheers

George
    Participant

1 is an excellent question. I wouldn’t think so, if if one can it is very slowly.

invisible officer
    Participant

BP is much more flexible than other rule sets.

Historically we have many moving squares.   The French often used a massive one, not the hollow one.  And that massive one was little different from a Battalion column.

In colonial wars it was common to advance in squares. Often very large ones, made from some Battalions.   Front and back in lines, sides in some sort of marching column. 2-3 abreast.

In Europe we have similar ones for reretreating forces under cavaltry “observation”.   Many rearguards did that.

Not to foret the “mini square”.    Skirmishers being trained not to run but forming small formations of some 5 – 50 men. Hedgehog like.

Big Al
    Participant

Test

Big Al
    Participant

1 & 2) It is all there on page 88. A square can move a maximum of 1 move regardless of the success of the command roll. It can only move at half pace (6 inches) and can only move towards its own baseline. If the order fails, it can still make a single move (sometimes the proof read misses something).

Big Al
    Participant

For some reason, my full reply was blocked! Here is the rest of it.

3) If enemy cavalry are within 12 inches, the infantry must remain in square and cannot change formation. Otherwise, the infantry can change formation.

With regard to the Proximity Rule, a formation change (expanding or contracting of the frontage) does not count as moving to the side or flank.

Another subject, really, but the point of the Proximity Rule is to force units to face an immediate threat and not make unrealistic manoeuvres in the face of the enemy. It is to prevent you ignoring the enemy front and “sliding” down the side and attacking the flank, instead of the obvious front. There are other rules to prevent this, too.

SteveT
    Participant

Thanks Invisible Officer, useful historical info.  And Big Al, thanks again. I had wrongly assumed the rules on page 88 were for big squares made from multiple units as shown on the photo  on 89. But they would be Brigade Squares (p.91), not Battalion Squares (p.88) ! Damn it. Mystery solved.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.