Squad based mortars

Home Forums Historical Bolt Action Squad based mortars

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Haskeer
    Participant

Hi all – a few questions regarding rifle sections that contain a light mortar..

1- if I pay the points to give a rifleman a light mortar does he also keep his rifle?

2- p72 (indirect fire, last para) am I correct that I’m allowed to target a different unit than my riflemen are targeting?

3- if I hit a single unit with both rifles and light mortar, how many pins do I give him?

4- are they worth bothering with in your opinion?

Thanks in advance,
    John.

Nat
    Participant

1, RAW of the Japanese book – it could be argued yes! (for example the sgt is take an SMG instead of a rifle whereas the mortars are may take – the same wording as used in the soviet and german books for panzerfausts.

2, yes – and multiples can all target seperate targets…”any mortar in the squad can pick a target individually, regardless of what the rifles and other mortars in the squad are doing”

3, D2 from the light mortar I’d guess going off the fact that it doesnt matter how many rifle hits you do its only 1 PIN so I’d go with the weapon that gives most pins

4, no idea as not an option for the armies I’ve faced….

• This reply was modified 4 years, 4 months ago by Nat.
    • This reply was modified 4 years, 4 months ago by Nat.
    Stuart Harrison
    Participant

Nat is correct on the the first three and the fourth is a matter of opinion – your mileage may vary.

With number 3, pins are allocated per target unit hit by a firing unit, not per weapon firing. You only inflict one lot of pins on each target, the best from the incoming hits on that unit (in this case, the D2 from the light mortar).

If you have weapons that can target separately, it’s generally better (in terms of pins at least) to spread the love. If one unit is a particular threat, you might not be that interested in that extra pin or two on other units.

Haskeer
    Participant

Thanks folks!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.