Spotter movement

Home Forums Historical Bolt Action Spotter movement

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    SteveT
    Participant

Mortar with Spotter.

If I give the spotter some kind of move order, can the mortar move too?

If I give the spotter some kind of move order, can the mortar keep up its indirect fire roll?

Thanks

Master Chief
    Participant

Bolt Action 2nd Ed page 71:

SPOTTERS

During a turn either the weapon crew can be given an order or the spotter can be given an order – but never both.

INDIRECT FIRE

In the following turn, if the shooter fires at the same target unit, and if the shooter has not moved from their position (i.e. it receives a Fire order), and if the target unit has not moved from their position (to count as ‘moved’, the entire unit must be at least 2” away from the area that it was covering before), a hit is scored on a 5+.

So the answers to both your questions is “No”.

SteveT
    Participant

Thanks. It was actually the book’s paragraph about Indirect Fire that causes my confusion. Because in the case of a mortar the shooter has not moved, even though the spotter might have. Which suggests the spotter moves and the mortar just carries on firing shells at the last known target?

Master Chief
    Participant

My understanding is that the mortar’s firing on the same target must be on consecutive turns in order for the ranging to stay in effect.

If the spotter moved the following turn, it means the mortar did not fire that “following turn” (because only one of the spotter or mortar could be given an order), so the ranging should reset to 6 to hit.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.