Skirmish units

Home Forums Historical Black Powder Skirmish units

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Garry Wills
    Participant

My reading of the rules is that Skirmish units have no flanks or rear and therefore can’t be charged in the flank and therefore always use all of their close combat dice when attacked. I can understand this when attacked by infantry but I am interested whether others play an attack by cavalry differently. i.e. do you give skirmish units flanks when attacked by cavalry?

Thanks

invisible officer
    Participant

Many regular skirmishers had been trained to form hedgehogs of 4 or more men if attacked by horse. They had been flexible enough to do them fast. A compact line was not so mobile. The 2 – 3 men at the flank being in general able to turn 90° fast too. But under attack from  side and back ……A deadly attack was the back slash from the rider that take you on his right side. Passing, not crashing into the foot.

Well, we have examples of line rear ranks just turning. Gaining a back badge on shako.  😉

Garry Wills
    Participant

Thanks IO so you are happy with the RAW.

Nat
    Participant

A skirmish unit has one frontage – front, until it is engaged and forms up…

which upsets my cossacks… who can only charge enemies in the flank or rear!

Charge The Guns
    Participant

Worth remembering that skirmishes get a -1 on their ‘to hit’ dice in melee, and can also not be supported. This should be more than enough to tip the odds to the cavalry.

I would allow Cossacks to charge skirmishers from any angle!

Nat
    Participant

yeah forgot about that (V2 rulebook pg 68 for the -1 to hit, and pg 70 for the support for others wondering)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.