shirkers rule question

Home Forums Historical Bolt Action shirkers rule question

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Sebastian
    Participant

Hello everybody,

i have a question about the shirkers rule.
    Does the doubling of the pins apply to shirkers in any case where pins are used?
    e.g. when shooting (i.e. a unit with a pin gets a -2 penalty when hitting),
    and for the we’re doomed! Rule (i.e. an inexperienced unit with 4 pins is destroyed),
    or is the malus only doubled for orders and morale tests.

Master Chief
    Participant

Bolt Action 2nd Ed rulebook page 42:

WE’RE DOOMED! – ROUTED UNITS
    If a unit has as many pin markers as its original morale value, or more, then it is automatically and immediately destroyed – its morale has entirely collapsed and the unit is routed from the field. Thus inexperienced troops are routed once they have 8 pin markers, regular units 9, and veteran units 10. This won’t happen very often because units will usually be wiped out long before their morale collapses in this way.

So I would think the pins only double penalties (not double pins) for shirkers shooting, morale tests etc.

Steeljackal
    Participant

ORDERS chapter
    “PIN MARKERS
    Remember that each pin marker on the unit also results in a –1 penalty to its morale value…”

“UNIT SPECIAL RULES” chapter
    “SHIRKERS
    Not all those herded to the front and handed a rifle are willing participants. Some troops might be
    conscripted militia from occupied territories, or they might be criminals or captives – reluctant or inept
    fighters LOOKING TO DESERT AT FIRST OPPORTUNITY. Shirkers must always take an order test when given an
    order, even where they are not pinned, and ALWAYS COUNT PINNDED MARKERS AS DOUBLE – i.e. one pin marker is
    a –2 penalty, two is –4 and so on.”

The rules could be poorly written as usual.
    If I go to see the “ratio” behind the regulation and also reading the parts that I have extracted, I can interpret it as follows:
    * 1 pin = -1 moral penality
    * If morale penality = morale value -> then routed
    * Shirkers 1 pin = -2 morale penality, then 4 pins = -8 morale value penality -> then routed (infact rulebook says “… looking to desert at the first opportunity …”).
    Pins represent the “suppression” level. Pins have two consequences: they reduce the ability to shoot and lower morale. Usually the unit would have to route because morale dropped too much, and not directly for suppression fire.

That said, from a raw reading, I would agree to say that you look at the pins, not the penalty they represent or penality to morale.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by Steeljackal.
    Master Chief
    Participant

* 1 pin = -1 moral penality

Yes, for morale testing purpose

* If morale penality = morale value -> then routed

No, the rule says the unit is routed when it has as many pin markers as its original morale

* Shirkers 1 pin = -2 morale penality, then 4 pins = -8 morale value penality -> then routed (in fact rulebook says “… looking to desert at the first opportunity …”).

Yes shirkers “always count pinned markers as double”, but I think it is for combat and morale tests only as it goes on to say “…i.e. one pin marker is a –2 penalty, two is –4 and so on.” The inexperienced shirker unit still has only one pin marker. You are right that the book describes shirkers as those who would desert as soon as possible. Maybe my interpretation is wrong.

Steeljackal
    Participant

As I wrote, I agree with you, by raw reading the pins are to be counted to see if the unit is routed.

On Shirkers special rules says “ALWAYS count pinned markers as double” so by raw reading seems count as doubled for order test, shotting and morale check, and for “WE’RE DOOMED! – ROUTED UNITS” too.

I take a look in errata&FAQ too, and there is no other info on shirkers or routed units.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by Steeljackal.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.