Second Wave vs Reserves

Home Forums Historical Bolt Action Second Wave vs Reserves

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    SteveT
    Participant

Second Wave vs Reserves

Am I right in thinking that units designated as 2nd wave/3rd wave/etc by some scenarios are not reserves and so do not need to roll an order check to enter the table?

Cheers

Stuart Harrison
    Participant

First wave come on in the first turn and don’t need to roll.  Reserves come in from the second turn (except Top Secret) and do need to roll.  Ouflankers are a sub-set of reserves, can come in from third turn and do need to roll.

That’s speaking generally – variations will be in scenario special rules (ie: Top Secret which treats turn 1 as if it was turn 2 due to all units starting in reserve), unit special rules (ie: ‘Behind Enemy Lines’ special rule)

SteveT
    Participant

Thanks Stuart, but what of the (few) scenarios that specify 2nd wave and not the word Reserve. Or 3rd wave. I am thinking they don’t need rolls to enter?

Cheers

Stuart Harrison
    Participant

Can you give an example?  I haven’t read all the way through all the scenarios in the campaign books to have those particular ones come to mind.

SteveT
    Participant

Germany Strikes , scenario 1, Post Office. Germans Wave 1 starts on board, wave 2 and wave 3 enter later. The word “reserves” not used at all which makes senses in the all out Blitzkrieg setting.

Stuart Harrison
    Participant

Set-up heading, second sentence of the paragraph for second wave “It is kept in reserve and may enter from Turn 3 from any table edge.”

Similarly in the para for third wave “It is kept in reserve and may enter from Turn 4 from any table edge.”

In this scenario, ‘First wave’ is your on table deployment.  There is no true ‘first wave’ by normal usage, Both second and third wave are reserves, just delayed.  No reason not to roll as for any other reserves.

I’d put this down to another example of why Bolt Action needs a continuity editor.  Terminology matters.

SteveT
    Participant

Yes, exactly.  Very odd isn’t  it!  I notice the earlier books seem to use whatever terminology they felt like…

Cheers for your input Stuart.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.