Prepping Minis

Home Forums General Discussion Prepping Minis

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    George
    Participant

Hello,

I got me a starter army last week that I have been working on. I want to do a better job on these soldiers than I did the first. I watched several youtube videos on prepping, basing, and priming minis on BlackMagicCraft’s youtube channel that I found highly informative.

One of his techniques he recommends in prepping the minis is to wash them in soapy water then let them dry thoroughly. He says to do this to wash out a chemical that is used in making minis to keep them from sticking to their molds. If this isn’t done then paint/primer may not stick all that well to the mini.

Do any of you do this? I can see problems such as breaking the bayonet tips or sword scabbards in giving them a scrub. I’m not sure I’m comfortable with this suggestion but thought I’d ask.

invisible officer
    Participant

I do it ever on resin stuff, that has often such a coat.

But  metal miniatures are today rarely coated with such a stuff.   In some 40 years I hardly met 10 miniatures that made any problems. And plastics have no such coating at all.

If they have a coating problem it comes from the modeller that played around with the miniatures on sprue or in assembly, some peoples  having skin fat that is over average. Or butter from Sandwich.  😉

Sadurian Mike
    Participant

As IO has suggested, not everyone washes their figures.

Personally, I do when ever I remember. Remember that the figure you hold in your eager paw has been in a mould coated with a mould-release agent, then prised out and packed by hand in (sorry, Warlord, the same goes for all commercial figures and models) an undoubtedly dusty small factory setting. There will be dust and other particulates in the air, plus the grease from the hands of the packers (to say nothing of whatever they had for lunch). Then you pick it up with your fingers and add to the mix whatever is on your own fingers.

Now the amount of dirt and grease is small, and in many cases it will be insignificant. However, by taking a few minutes to wash the figure and leave it to dry, you are eliminating one more potential source of defect when you apply glue and/or coat the miniature in its new undercoat. The result will be undercoat or glue that has the maximum chance to adhere firmly.

George
    Participant

Thank you, Sadurian Mike.

Kar98k
    Participant

I agree, not everyone washes their figures. Heck, I used to be one of those that didn’t wash their figures, but now I always wash my figures regardless if they are metal, plastic, or resin. The reason I switched over to doing this is because I have noticed it does make a difference most of the time. I use soap (grease removing dish-soap) and warm water, but I also thoroughly rinse afterwards with clean warm water to remove any soap residue.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.