Painting face camouflage

Home Forums Historical Bolt Action Painting face camouflage

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Jacob Carter
    Participant

Hey guys, I’m about to paint an SS sniper and want to have him look like he had applied either charcoal or some other material to darken his face like the picture below.  I’m torn between either just using normal paints to do this, or whether I should use a wash or glaze.  How would you guys tackle this?

SteveT
    Participant

I wouldn’t use a wash or that will seep into the recesses, whereas the camo should deliberately cover the ‘sticky out bits’. I would simply  use straightforward painting, since this also mirrors the application process.

Findo
    Participant

The picture looks like it might be axle grease.  I would try experimenting with some powdered graphite and white glue mix (alternately just  thick charcoal color paint) on other figs before tackling the main one you want to paint.  You should be able to mimic the kind of grease paint used in the era.

The trick is to get an asymmetric application.  It is counter intuitive to paint but also how camo works.WWII camo face

Ghettotech
    Participant

The first picture looks like a Motorcycle driver. The goggles looks like that, too.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.