Monthly Painting Challenge

Home Forums General Discussion Monthly Painting Challenge

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    Deadmanwade
    Participant

Once, long ago, in the time before time, the Warlord forums played host to a regular painting challenge. Well, ok, maybe it wasn’t that long ago, but it has been a while.

The challenge is pretty simple and straightforward. At the beginning of the month you post up a list of what you want to paint that month. You then have until the end of the month to finish off those models and get a photograph of them posted up in the thread as evidence.

There are no prizes, trophies or cash involved, sorry. The purpose is to challenge yourself to paint more and to give yourself motivation to pick up your brushes. If you usually paint 5 models in a month, challenge yourself to do 6. If you do 30, aim for 35.

Really, any hobby projects are suitable for the challenge. In the past we had people producing terrain boards and custom made vehicles as well as painting minis.

I’m not sure what Warlord’s policy is with the new forum (any comments from the mods?) but in the last challenge, any miniatures were allowed. As well as Warlord, people were painting up a variety of kits from a lot of makers.

So get your planning hats on, June 1st is just around the corner and hopefully we’ll see some of the old regulars and some new faces pledging their brushes to some awesome new challenges!

See you all on June 1st!

invisible officer
    Participant

Nice to see you and the challenge back in a Warlord Forum.

My personal challenge for the rest of May are some 8 crossbowmen for my ca. 1240 Forces. But we have 32°C these days. So no wish to add more heat by lamps.

John Mathews
    Participant

Painting challenge is great idea. I’ll jump in on June as not enough time in May for anything.

As for rules and models I think it best to keep the units or models warlord figures. Now conversions and scratch builds are great and should be allowed, but as the forum is mainly dedicated to Warlord Games products I think we should stay within those lines.

If someone is painting up a unit of Samurai and has a Perry miniatures samurai commander as part of the challenge I think that would be fine, but doing a whole unit of Perry samurai would be too much.

Or in other words, from the summer painting offensive.

Q. Can I use a converted model?
    A. Yes – as long as the majority of the miniature is from the Warlord Games range, you can convert it to your heart’s content.

Mehman
    Participant

This sounds great and is just the motivation needed to get these 120+ EIR (which I call my “Roman Holiday”) started. Of course, they need to be built… Think I’ll go small this first month on how many could get done.

Deadmanwade
    Participant

Well, it’s June 1st, so time to get this painting challenge underway.

For this month, I plan to do 15 German Grenadiers for Bolt Action and 18 Zulus for Black Powder.

Anyone else willing to take up a brush?

John Mathews
    Participant

Still May 31st here, but I will pick up the challenge as well(My username should be Master Procrastinator, I’ll change it eventually). Waiting on my order of Concord to show, I’ll have to look what else I can repaint or decide on what samurai figs to paint up (Saturday project).

Mehman
    Participant

Yeah, I’ll bite (off more than I can chew, probably). For June, I plan to paint the following:

Shieldwall exclusive miniature – He’s been renamed to Einar Greycloak, but that might change to Kjell Silverveins

5 Viking Hirdmen

5 Saxon Thegns

You might be wondering about my “Roman Holiday” of EIR legionaries and character models. The plan is to build them in groups of 5 to 10 men and then paint them in 5-man blocks each. Why couldn’t they be painted in conjunction with the above models? Simple: I’m lazy. No, in all seriousness, it’ll be a miracle if all 11 models get completed.

++EDIT: Spelling++

John Mathews
    Participant

Okay, so my challenge looks like this

5 new concord troopers (primed still on sprue.
    12 batter/spotter drones (8 primed, two basecoated, two my old green/white scheme)
    6 light support drones (4old scheme, one obnoxiously bad painted scheme attempt and one mostly done in new scheme)
    1 NuHu mandarin drone (I’ve just finished the Mandarin)

Here is the mandarin with his basing next to Togg.
    NuHu
    NuHu back
    Togg’s base is now finished similar to the mandarins
    And here are the drones in various states. I just finished their bases before posting this, new picture later.
    Drones

I’ll try and keep updated in my BtGoA thread here throughout the month unless we want pics in both spots.

Depending on when my order arrives from Warlord, there might be more drones added. Also possible stretch goals added along the way.

Deadmanwade
    Participant

I`m currently working on 18 Zulus, at the moment the base colours are about halfway done.

Morbal
    Participant

Who, the challenges are back!

Understandable that only warlord games models are allowed, will be some pics less in my challenge. I silently hope for opening to al ranges for the WG games. I understand my Gw lizardmen aren’t welcome here, but my republican victrix Velites?

For june i want.
    4 Roman dromidari
    3 IER optios
    2 celtic chariots
    Cesarian roman mounted officer
    4 Brittons

14 models should be doable but,
    Some who know me of the old forum know i paint a lot.
    For this month i have 15 other models some historical, others not. On the table wainting for some paint.

Deadmanwade
    Participant

How are things going with the painting challenge guys?
    I’m making some progress with my pledge.

Some WIP Zulus.

And a few German Grenadiers in need of basing.

Deadmanwade
    Participant

I got my minis for the challenge finished off today.

15 German Panzer Grenadiers for the Hermann Göring Division.

18 Zulus from the uMxapho (‘Mongrels’) ibutho (regiment).

John Mathews
    Participant

Well as usual I started off strong but life happened. I’ve been out of many loops as my fathers condition has taken a drastic turn for the worst (now on hospice), I have taken indefinite leave from my job as of last week. I have also not been around here much. I will try and get a picture up probably in the morning as we have to visit my wife’s grandmother now.

I’d like to say what I have seen posted here and in everyone’s blogs looks fantastic. Always a joy to see painted units and armies.

Deadmanwade
    Participant

@John – Sorry to hear about your family troubles. I hope things get better for you.

Is there any further interest in this challenge? Anyone looking for some extra motivation to pick up a brush?

I’m taking a vacation back home for most of July, so my challenge is going to be short and simple this month. 5 German Grenadiers for NWE. I have other things on my bench, but they’re NSFW (Not Supplied From Warlord). 🙂

Morbal
    Participant

4 Roman dromidari
    3 IER optios
    2 celtic chariots
    Cesarian roman mounted officer
    4 Brittons

al is ready, only 2 of the dromedari was a bit much for sure with other big monster for other game. Bases left to do and afterwards, (probably friday) looking how to post pics here.

For tis month i want to do
    the 2 dromedari of last month
    4 brittons
    2EIR
    Aristovius

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 50 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.