Household Cavalry regiment morale (Albion Triumphant 2)

Home Forums Historical Black Powder Household Cavalry regiment morale (Albion Triumphant 2)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Legere
    Participant

Given the amount of typos that can be found in Warlord (but not only Warlord) publications I’m wondering if the morale of 3 for the Horse and Life Guard regiments in Albion 2 are a misprint or not.  Literally every other regiment, including light cavalry regiments, are Morale 4 and in the absence of any explanation it seems a bit strange that the Household Cavalry have been selected for Morale 3.  There may well be a very valid reason for this morale rating that I’m not aware of but given the morale rating of 4 for all the other British / Allied cavalry regiments it seems odd that the Household, a heavy brigade, are 3?

Only thing I’m thinking is that it may be because of their historically more ceremonial role vs the regular (more experienced?) battle cavalry, if the reason is indeed that it would probably explain why the French Guard cavalry are also, IIRC, all rated morale 3 given again, they haven’t had the combat experience of the Cuirassier or the other line cavalry regiments etc.

• This topic was modified 2 years, 1 month ago by Legere.
    • This topic was modified 2 years, 1 month ago by Legere.
    Charge The Guns
    Participant

Hi Legere, as the ‘guard’ cavalry of the British forces I am not at all surprised by the Lifeguards and Horse Guards having a better Morale than the other British cavalry.  ‘3’ seems a fair value.

The way the rules work, the Morale save is the score needed on a D6 to be able to ignore a ‘hit’ from shooting or melee. So a Morale of 3 is better than 4.  This is why the lists give the guard cavalry (French and British) this ‘save’; it is better.

In this period I don’t think that either formation was purely ceremonial.  For example, troops only got in to the French Imperial Guard because they were veterans.

Legere
    Participant

Aiyoooo.  Talk about having a ‘doh’ moment!!  Too long in covid isolation / lockdown here with no gaming for 18 months leads to the panic re-reading of multiple rule sets in a matter of days, preparing QRS sheets and new player guides for various rules and totally forgot the concept of BP morale saves being a score to beat, not to get below!

Must admit I did have a bit of a ‘Whaaaat’ moment when I checked all the guard cavalry stats and the ceremonial aspect, as you say, very much misplaced for this era, was the only thing I could come up with for the unfathomable worse morale level.  Except of course it’s better.

Thanks for the reply though, time to relax with a whisky, put the books down and let the brain de-clutter for a few days methinks 😉

Charge The Guns
    Participant

No problem, Legere! Easily done.  I’ll join you in that whisky, cheers! 😀

Big Al
    Participant

Beat me to it! 😆

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.