Homebrew:Thoughts on this idea for MMG/HMG teams?

Home Forums Historical Bolt Action Homebrew:Thoughts on this idea for MMG/HMG teams?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Nanashi
    Participant

Its no secret MMG and HMG teams are way overpriced in Bolt Action and nobody uses them (more mobile vehicle based MMGs are outright cheaper!). The idea of adding 2 shots and no penalty for long range to ground based MGs has been around for a while. While that brings their value per point up, I don’t think that on its own captures the idea of an emplaced machine gun mowing down human waves (even with that change, sacrificing a unit to charge an MG waiting is actually possible!). Ambush itself isn’t particularly popular either due to initiative. Does this idea seem reasonable?

“Fixed weapons that fire multiple shots can be given another order in the same turn they moved to Fire from Ambush, but only to Fire or Ambush, and do not need to roll to remain in Ambush at the end of the turn.”

SteveT
    Participant

I think they might need something, but I am not sure this fits in with MGs in tanks somehow?

The problem for me is they are really easy for snipers — feels odd to me that the sniper always takes out the only one of the team who can use the weapon and thus eliminate the whole team….

One easy change I was tempted with is “hit from this weapon 1 extra pin”.

The other is simply to lower their cost.

Perhaps  V3.0 will change something about them one day. I know it has been raised

I am sure the others have more ideas.

Stuart Harrison
    Participant

Not a fan as it takes away one of the main penalties of being a fixed weapon – you don’t get to fire in the same turn you relocate.  By moving and going into Ambush you not only get to change position (probably fall back to maintain the distance from shorter ranged units), you then get to fire at those enemy units without a movement penalty if they follow up.

That’s an ability strong enough to be a unit special rule for a couple of Finnish units, and in their case is limited to rifles only.

“and do not need to roll to remain in Ambush at the end of the turn.” – not sure if you’re understanding the rules on retaining an Ambush order.  At the end of the turn, you have three options with an Ambush order:

1.  Retain the order for the next turn.
    2.  Return the die to the bag.
    3.  Turn the Ambush into a Fire order and resolve it before returning the die to the bag.

You only need to roll for the third one, not to retain the order.

It also doesn’t address the main concerns you see about team weapons, and MMGs in particular – exceptional damage (particularly from snipers) and the lack of a suppression benefit.

Nanashi
    Participant

Oh, did misread those when looking for the verbage. Make that “to fire at the end of the turn”.

I think Sniper being a weakness of emplaced MGs is an acceptable and reasonable case of one type of unit countering another. An MG nest is a very reasonable target for a marksman. The problem is more that the advantages aren’t enough to make up for the weakness.

“I am not sure this fits in with MGs in tanks somehow”

Vehicle MGs (and autocannons) don’t have Fixed so they wouldn’t benefit from any fixes tied to Fixed. They also cost less. Vehicles with lots of MGs on them (Stuart, GAS truck) do see plenty of play already. As for why they wouldn’t get the benefit, stability and quick change barrels are reasonable explanations.

SteveT
    Participant

“Vehicle MGs (and autocannons) don’t have Fixed”. Yes, that was kind of my point.  I think most people would want consistency to any new improvements to MG rules that work across all types.   Tricky.

Stuart Harrison
    Participant

” I think most people would want consistency to any new improvements to MG rules that work across all types.”

Very much NO.  Vehicle MGs are already good enough (arguably too good – look at the early war MG tanks and how effective they are).

People are specifically looking for a fix for infantry MGs, not another buff for already strong vehicle MGs.

Donald Linn
    Participant

We generally use a house rule which doesn’t allow the exceptional damage rule for 3 man support teams like MMGs/HMGs and Med or heavier mortars. The rule remains in force for HQs, and 2 man teams , and special weapons within squads.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.