HE and Down

Home Forums Historical Bolt Action HE and Down

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Borkbork
    Participant

Does a HE shot suffer both a -2 to Hit and the halved damage when the target goes down?

Or only the halved damage effect?

Stuart Harrison
    Participant

Both if direct fire. Indirect fire roll to hit is not affected by modifiers other than the ranging in process, so indirect fire only suffers the halving of hits.

Second edition specifically changed the wording of the HE special rule to make it clear you choose to go down before the roll to hit. This makes a difference due to being down affecting that roll to hit. If your opponent is telling you otherwise, they’re probably stuck on a first edition misunderstanding.

Borkbork
    Participant

Ok, thank you!

We played it correctly. However afterwards i thought it was a way (waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay) too heavy penalty, and that made me doubt wether we played it correctly.

With small arms fire you have to directly hit a person, so there i totally understand the -2 to hit. But even with direct fire from HE you are not aiming for a person, but for a spot on the ground. So it felt logical (at least to me) that going down against HE would limit the amount of damage but not the chance to hit the spot you were aiming for.

It is (to me) especially weird if troops are hiding behind a stone wall (not a building) wich makes them nigh impossible to hit (-2 cover, -2 down, -1 long range), while if it were the exact same wall with a roof on it (building) the story would be totally different.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 3 months ago by Borkbork.
    Nat
    Participant

If a person is trying to be as small as possible and hide behind a solid object it can be very hard to spot them!…

Now firing HE at buildings…you either fire indirect or you suffer most of the same penalties.

The Sept FAQ has an errata for it….
    [quote]
    Page 124-125, HE weapons against buildings.The second and third paragraph will be changed to read as follows:
    This means that when rolling to hit you ignore any to-hit penalties for cover. All other modifiers apply as normal – for example, Down in this case might represent the unit hiding in the building and if the enemy misses the shot, this might represent the them not having taken the shot at all, and instead still be searching for the target (and similarly a small team is more difficult to spot inside a building…).
    If you score a hit, this means that the shell has managed to find – or make – an opening. The unit inside that floor of the building suffers a number of hits equal to the ‘damage in buildings’ value in the HE chart for that shell (D3, D6, 2D6 or 3D6). If the unit is Down (units in buildings can react by going Down as normal when targeted by HE), the hits are halved as normal, rounding up. When hit by […]
    [/quote]

• This reply was modified 4 years, 3 months ago by Nat.
    Borkbork
    Participant

thanks, worded like that it starts to make (a tiny bit) more sense.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.