Getting Started – Pionere

Home Forums Historical Bolt Action Getting Started – Pionere

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    James Beil
    Participant

I’ve decided I want to get stuck in to Bolt Action as it’s one of the more popular games at the local club, and since I’m a sucker for a cute mechanical doodad I’m going to go for the German Pionere with the Goliath, and perhaps an assault gun or Lei18 – how does the army work in general terms, and for someone who doesn’t enjoy painting much, can anyone share how they managed to get through thirty men wearing the same green jacket?

Jacob Carter
    Participant

I can’t say anything about strategies as I don’t have a lot of games under my belt but I’d say be sure to take advantage of the faction rule that gives German machine guns an extra dice.  Also I’d recommend a few assault rifles since late war Veteran German squads can equip a whole squad with them.

As for painting, take it at your own pace.  I’m working on both US Airborne and a German armies and have roughly 60 men to paint.  So to reduce the mental strain I’ll work on about 12 at a time, and get them finished before starting another batch of 12 from the other army.  That way you will see noticeable progress, and not have to paint the same thing 30 times before moving on to the next color.

invisible officer
    Participant

Well, not enjoying modelling and painting is a big problem for a gamer. Some just buy ready made armies, a question of money.

Something I would never do, for me that is 3/4 of the fun. Esp. some converions.       I just finished my Blitzkrieg and Pionier sprues (the same, just extra metal parts) from two boxes. I did them in groups of 8 – 12. Enjyoing the conversions. I love to have miniatures that nobody else has.

But if you dislike painting nothing helps. 😉

The composition of Forces depends a bit on your gaming partners. The all assault rifle squad was so rare, the white elephant with master degree.        If you all  are  “gaming to win” types they are OK but if you want an army based on history they are a no go.  Pioniere did not have that squad OOB.

The divisional Pioniere often fought as rearguards in 44/45.  So a Sturmgeschütz or 7,5 cm Pak 40 is a good  historical addition. The Stug is also good in attack games, the Pionier box having all the nice Gimmicks like the Gestreckte Ladung, flamethrower and Goliath for assaults.

Attachments:
    Haskeer
    Participant

Re mass painting – I’m not sure of your colour scheme, but I’ve just saved loads of time doing a large Japanese Army by using a spray base coat of the uniform colour. I use shades on my minis, so after doing the base I only have to paint flesh/weapons/boots etc., then shades, then a bit of highlighting.

James Beil
    Participant

I do enjoy the modelling and building – it’s just the process of sticking that strange stuff that comes in pots onto them that I have a hard time enjoying!

One thing I’d also like to include is Lt Gruber and his ‘little tank’ – I’m sure that is some model of SdKzw.222, but I don’t know which, or if the kit contains an officer?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.