German 88 mm flak gun base size?

Home Forums Historical Bolt Action German 88 mm flak gun base size?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Simon Doyle
    Participant

Can anyone kindly indicate what the base size is for the Bolt Action 88mm gun and limbers?

Nat
    Participant

Artillery go on what ever base you like!

All Measurements are to/from the breach of the gun (pg 96 – I think).  All crew have to be within 2″ of the breach to maintain coherency, and are assumed to be individually based on standard round bases (for when working out HE… the only time it matters.).

Simon Doyle
    Participant

Thanks Nat, appreciated. I am new to this so thanks for the clarification. Simon.

Jacob Carter
    Participant

Before you buy the metal kit, I’d recommend looking at the Flak 37 with transport option, if you don’t like working with metal models.  It’s the plastic kit which still works for Blitzkrieg, includes a transport, and the kit I received also included lumbers.  It’s a good option since you’ll have to get a sdkfz. 7 anyways if you want to move the gun anywhere in game.

For basing, an alternative that I did is to not even base the gun.  The gun has a large enough platform that it can easily be its own base and on the plus side if you keep the crew based separate you can easily use the gun as an objective or terrain piece.

Also, if you haven’t already, buy magnets if you want the turret to rotate.  The gun is slightly top heavy and won’t stand properly without the turret unglued, but it’s worth it to allow the gun to traverse and elevate!

Simon Doyle
    Participant

@Jacob – thanks for the reply.

I have the metal flak kit already (Xmas gift). I must admit that I prefer the plastic models versus the metal, the latter are a bit more effort to deal with etc. I think I’d prefer to base the gun on something as I can see it getting damaged if not. Plus the basing makes these models stand out a bit more. I will however keep the crew separate.

Magnets are in the post via Amazon. I ordered these from Amazon –  https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002A00WH4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

….they were recommended on the Pete the Wargamer channel – which is very good IMO:

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.