Flammpanzer B2(f) at Stalingrad??????

Home Forums Historical Bolt Action Flammpanzer B2(f) at Stalingrad??????

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Renko
    Participant

Just got the Stalingrad book, and it is quite impressive. One thing I noticed was the inclusion of the Flammpanzer B2(f) as a tank option in the German lists. This came as a bit of a surprise as I was unaware of any Flammpanzers in Stalingrad, and the only unit I can find with with B2(f)s PanzerAbt 223 was engaged in the Crimea at the time – about 500 miles away give or take. Does anyone have any info that suggests they were any at Stalingrad or is this just an error or something added in to sell models?

Alan Hamilton
    Participant

As you say, it looks like a typo, cut and paste error or a bid to sell models!  The only units I can find in my books that had the Fl Pz Kpfw B-2(f) were 102 sPz Abt (F) during Barbarossa (1 month), 223 sPz Kp in Crimea, 7 SS Freiwilligen Gebirgs Division Prinz Eugen in the Balkans, the 213 sPz Abt in the Channel Islands and (in 1944) the training unit sPz Kp 224 near Arnhem had several flamethrower-equipped Fl Pz Kpfw B-2(f).  Some were issued in 1943 to 14 Pz Div and 21 Pz Div but had been returned to depot before the divisions saw action with them.  These may be the ones sent to sPz 224 at Arnhem.  Other Pz Kpfw B-2(f) were issued to a variety of units at various times though most appear to have been used for training and other secondary roles.

The other flamethrower AFVs – Pz Kpfw II Fl had been withdrawn for conversion to Marders before Stalingrad and the Pz Kpfw III Fl had not yet entered service.  The Sd Kfz 251/16 was only just entering service as the Battle of Stalingrad ended.

Renko
    Participant

That pretty much is word for word what I had. I know one of the reasons for the development of the Flammpanzer III was the lack of capability at Stalingrad.

harryb
    Participant

If you are into Stalingrad check Glasgow Warhogs blog – Stalingrad factory…

We used Pz4, Stug, Sig33 open and Sig 33a closed, Nebelwefer. I never seen any reference Flampanzers…in the books we used.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.