Flamethrower in an Engineer Squad

Home Forums Historical Bolt Action Flamethrower in an Engineer Squad

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Slyde Klewlis
    Participant

Question: Flamethrower in an Engineer Squad.

When the flamethrower rolls a one and runs out of fuel; since the flame thrower in this case is considered a squad support weapon the entire engineer squad does not get removed from the table.

The flamethrower assistant reverts to being a rifleman; however the flame thrower figure is removed and counts as a casualty.

Am I getting this rule play proceedure correct?

If not then please correct and advise.

Master Chief
    Participant

I am thinking the entire 2 men team (not the entire engineer squad) is removed as per the flamethrower rules. That line in the team weapon section about the assistant reverting back to a normal soldier refers to the case where the team weapon was destroyed i.e. the main “gunner” (in this case the guy holding the flamethrower) was killed, for example by sniper fire.

Gerry Brawley
    Participant

If the Flamethrower guy from a Flamethrower teams takes exceptional damage then both models are removed and you lose an order dice. If the flamethrower guy is in an Engineering squad then he alone is romoved and his loader reverts back to being a member of the squad.

Stuart Harrison
    Participant

Gerry is correct. The FT two man team is a support team weapon and follows those rules, the FT and loader in an engineer squad is a squad based team weapon and follows those rules rather than support team weapon rules – see p73, Weapons, Weapon Special Rules, Team Weapon.

Master Chief
    Participant

That line in the team weapon section about the assistant reverting back to a normal soldier refers to damage sustained from enemy fire, so I agree it is exactly what Gerry said, no arguments there.

However when the flamethrower guy in the Engineer squad rolls a 1 after using the flamthrower, it is not damage from enemy fire. So shouldn’t both he and his assistant be removed just like in the case of a flamethrower team? Otherwise it seems inconsistent with the rules for a flamethrower i.e. when both rolled a 1 after using a flamethrower, in one case 2 men are removed, in the other only 1 man.

Master Chief
    Participant

On re-reading page 73, I guess the flamethrower rules would apply to “avoid worrying about ineffective odd men”. As the assistant would still be “effective” in the Engineer squad, he should be allowed to “live and fight another day”. 😁

Slyde Klewlis
    Participant

I have had debates with this during games with other players until I show them the rules.

We are talking about an Engineering Squad here of eight men, not a two man flamethrower team so those flamethrower team rules should not apply.

Since the flamethrower in this case is indeed a support weapon I have been removing the flamethrower armed figure and then having the loader revert to a regular rifleman as per the rules on squad support weapons.

I hoped that if I posted this issue here I could refer other players to this online post during game.

It would be nice to have a Warlord Official respond here and to get this addressed in the FAQ. It comes up quite often.

People get the Flame thrower “Team” rules confused with the Engineering Squad having a support weapon quite often.

Gerry Brawley
    Participant

It doesn’t need an FAQ it is covered on P73 of the RB….. Squad Based Team Weapons. It already explains if the team weapon is detroyed then the loader reverts back to a normal guy 🙂

Commander Klank
    Participant

yeah, too bad if they run out of fuel the assistant couldn’t spend two turns running back for another fuel bottle… LOL

Slyde Klewlis
    Participant

New Unit suggestion:

The Ammo Runner

Reference the movie “The Pacific” Matanikau river Guadalcanal night fight scene.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.